After Engine is Rebuilt

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: After Engine is Rebuilt
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By SID KHONA on Monday, April 09, 2018 - 07:29 am:

Dear All,

I have rebuilt my engine and must have driven about 200 Miles post the rebuilt. Do I need to do anything further on the engine or should I continue to drive the T?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Monday, April 09, 2018 - 07:36 am:

Change the oil

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By vincent stefanacci on Monday, April 09, 2018 - 07:57 am:

then change it again !
maybe after another 150-200 !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Neil Kaminar on Monday, April 09, 2018 - 07:59 am:

Re torque head bolts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Roger Karlsson, southern Sweden on Monday, April 09, 2018 - 08:13 am:

Change the oil and check it often :-)

I noticed the valves needed adjustment fairly quickly after a rebuild - if you have installed adjustable lifters, it's easy to fix if they need some adjustment after the cam and lifters have been run in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Monday, April 09, 2018 - 09:39 am:

I can't disagree with retorqueing the headbolts, but I doubt that this happened with 90% of the model Ts when they were sold new.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Given - St. Paul, MN on Monday, April 09, 2018 - 09:50 am:

Do you have an oil screen? I added a couple strong rare earth magnets to mine. I had a lot of fibers from my bands, a thick metallic gel around the magnets. I changed my oil about every 200 miles at first and crept it up to 500 miles, for the first 2000 miles or so. Once things things settled in I now probably change the oil less often.

I torqued the head bolts like others said, and had to adjust the bands a few times.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Monday, April 09, 2018 - 09:58 am:

Lots of T's wound up like this one did. People would get a T frame and engine and build whatever they desired it to be. I would would call this one a barnyard special or an early style rat rod. Anything that's been in the family that long is pretty special. I think I would put some 26-27 wire wheels on it, get it running good, and go through the rear end and drive it as is. It would be a good way to relive all those family memories.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Monday, April 09, 2018 - 10:00 am:

Whoops! I posted on the wrong post! My mistake.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks NY on Monday, April 09, 2018 - 10:37 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Monday, April 09, 2018 - 11:34 am:

For re-torquing the head bolts make sure you know the correct practices to do the different head materials. Cast heads are re-torqued hot, aluminum are re-torqued cold. Don't know if you have a motometer on the radiator or not, but I could tell my fresh rebuild had broken in after about 90 miles when the engine quit running warm and started running considerably cooler. That was my clue to change oil for the first time.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration