1916 touring- boy does she run good- now gotta make her pretty

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: 1916 touring- boy does she run good- now gotta make her pretty
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kyle Arey on Tuesday, April 10, 2018 - 01:46 pm:

Bought her in January for a song and has needed very little work other than small odds and ends. Thrust washers were missing in the transmission but she goes into high gear pretty well now as far as I can tell. Now that Im starting to get it out and drive it im trying to learn as much as i can on how to maintain it and make sure im not damaging anything.
1. It has an original 1916 round tube radiator that has had some shoddy solder work done at a shop but no leaks. How can i tell if its adequately cooling? i love that its original but if it takes 1300 to get a new radiator id rather do that than crack my block

2. Engine was washed off last week (possibly pressure washed and no, i didnt do this) What should i do paint wise or other to keep it from rusting more. I think the grease helped that was washed off. Basically want to get her looking nice top to bottom

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, April 10, 2018 - 02:05 pm:

Looks pretty good to me as is! If it were me, I'd remove each manifold clamp one at a time and paint them black, but that's just my personal preference.

Regarding overheating, it's been too cold out most places in the midwest U.S. to really tax the cooling system yet. Later in the summer, if the car starts belching coolant out the radiator overflow and the radiator cap, then you'll know it's overheating.

Be aware that minor draining out the overflow may just be a sign that the radiator was over-filled to start with. Just keep an eye on the water level after the car has fully cooled. If the water level stabilizes above the tops of the radiator tubes, you are good to go. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Tuesday, April 10, 2018 - 03:47 pm:

It looks like a fun car. We don't see the non-skid tires like we used to. I have been happy with 4 new radiators but found a couple of old original brass ones that still cool pretty well.
Enjoy it as much as you can and work on it when you feel like it.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Royster on Tuesday, April 10, 2018 - 07:43 pm:

You can buy an infrared point and shoot thermometer
at Harbor Freight cheap. Mine works well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Tuesday, April 10, 2018 - 10:28 pm:

You'll know if the radiator isn't cooling well when you regularly get "Old Faithful" out of the filler neck when pulling moderate hills on seventy degree days. So long as you pull over and cool down I don't think you'll hurt anything - Boiling over is part of the lore of the Model T.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C west central, MN on Tuesday, April 10, 2018 - 11:55 pm:

Plus these engines are really tough! So long as you've got some water in it. :-) I once ran a dry IH/Waukesha XA222... never mind.
Touch up your engine as you see fit to stop the surface rust. Perhaps the wash was good and down the road you can see where it leaks oil! :-)
Your engine has been painted! I've never had one that nice.
Mark's correct about touching up the manifold clamps. ;-)
Oh! I was gonna ask: Is the fan belt good to go? In the pic, it looks like it's de-laminating (coming apart). It's probably just a trick of the photo. :-)

As long as the oil is flowing thru the engine, drive the tar out of it. :-) You have a lubrication chart?
Q. The rear end has been gone thru?
Great looking Touring! More pics?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warwick Landy Traralgon Australia on Wednesday, April 11, 2018 - 02:52 am:

Is that a wide track T? did they make them still in 16? Wheels look a long way out under the fenders? A nice looking fun T!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Wednesday, April 11, 2018 - 03:38 am:

I suggest a color scheme that you can live with...let's face it black is just too drab and hard to spot leaks if they happen. I found this one to work just fine...may not be as Ford would've done it, but you got to admit it's pretty. ;)

It helps if you like purple...the other color that works is green, blue is nice too so also is yellow, but you have to paint all the head bolts and lettering black, otherwise there isn't enough contrast.:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Wednesday, April 11, 2018 - 08:03 am:

Please tell me that's a photoshop job...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gordon A. Clayton Sr. on Wednesday, April 11, 2018 - 10:41 am:

My Dad told me that during the Depression a local man damaged the radiator on his "T' And of course there was little money for repairs. so he
removed the radiator entirely and drove around the entire winter with no radiator. He said it
was a rather cold winter that year and the "T"
suffered no ill effects. This was in central
N.J.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Wednesday, April 11, 2018 - 11:52 am:

Tommy, it is not

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Wednesday, April 11, 2018 - 01:40 pm:

Tommy, Like Gary said, it is not photoshopped. That is really how Martynn painted his engine. Gray block and pan and purple head. At a car show you can always tell which car is his LOL. His whimsy knows no bounds. And his wife says "It's pretty".
He's a close friend of mine and harries him frequently on that head, I can live with the gray block and have given up on the head. LOL

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Spadafore on Thursday, April 12, 2018 - 06:19 am:

My radiator core leaked like a sieve when I first got my Runabout. Buying a replacement wasn't in the cards, but a re-core was much more doable. It was less than half what a replacement cost and I opted for a flat tube core. It's never gotten hotter than a really hot cup of coffee even when the temps are in the upper 80s. It's also only belched out coolant once, but it was over full at the time. If you choose to re-core rather than replace, just make sure the shop knows not to pressure test it. At least not more than a couple pounds.

While the radiator was out, I used the downtime from driving to pull the head. I scraped carbon, lapped and checked valve lash and replaced the head and manifold gaskets. With the radiator off, there was enough room to take a wire brush to the block and spray it with a rattle can of engine paint.

I agree with Duey about your fan belt. It looks like it's separating between the layers in your photo. Fortunately, they aren't expensive. Even less so if you get the modern style black one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Thursday, April 12, 2018 - 06:46 am:

Everything looks great visually on your T...don't know that I'd change anything at all.

IMHO...T's are on a short list of old cars that actually look better the more "used" they appear.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Thursday, April 12, 2018 - 02:08 pm:

That's what I did when I had My Rad off for repair, cleaned, repainted, added a few correct doohickeys .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kyle Arey on Friday, April 13, 2018 - 08:15 am:

thanks everyone for the responses! took her on a pretty long ride yesterday and after expelling some overflow coolant, the coolant level sat at halfway through there ford logo there on out. Water inlet is cool to the touch after 5 or so miles

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kyle Arey on Friday, April 13, 2018 - 08:17 am:

After rinsing with kerosene, I switched from non-detergent 30 to 5w-30 a couple weeks ago and at the end of my ride noticed a very slight knock only at low idle and seemed to be high on the engine. hopefully the oil change didnt cause anything. Need to go trouble shoot that now

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Conwill on Friday, April 13, 2018 - 11:04 am:

"My Dad told me that during the Depression a local man damaged the radiator on his "T' And of course there was little money for repairs. so he
removed the radiator entirely and drove around the entire winter with no radiator. He said it
was a rather cold winter that year and the "T"
suffered no ill effects. This was in central
N.J."

Something similar is shown in the 1941 movie "Tobacco Road."

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Friday, April 13, 2018 - 05:58 pm:

George, you should've done all your bolts and nuts in silver, that would've provided just the right amount of contrast for that swamp ooze green the Model A guys paint their blocks...hope you polished those nickle plated head bolts at least, but silver would go very nicely with that crappy green, you should think on it some, you'd see I'm right.

And Tommy, just so you know, George didn't like the previous color I painted the the head either...true green, like the early 1909's (which were grey block and pan with green head). But now she is old and can wear purple...well at least her head is...it's a 1914 low head.:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Sam Mendenhall on Sunday, April 15, 2018 - 01:27 pm:

Kyle did you get the the headlights with it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Sunday, April 15, 2018 - 03:16 pm:

Martin, the head bolts were plated, the other correct dress up bolts are SS from Lang's

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Given - St. Paul, MN on Sunday, April 15, 2018 - 03:26 pm:

I would say drive it for now. If it is steaming out the top, then try cleaning the radiator. If it still steams, then consider replacing it.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration