Tire wear

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Tire wear
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Tuesday, April 10, 2018 - 05:46 pm:

I have around 800 miles on these tires. The rears are in perfect shape but the two front tires are wearing fast and on the outside edges faster than the inside edges. Is this a tie rod adjustment problem?

Tires

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem S.E. Michigan on Tuesday, April 10, 2018 - 06:08 pm:

Yup, tie rod adjustment, too much or too little toe in.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Tuesday, April 10, 2018 - 06:26 pm:

Need a warmer day to putz with it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell, Huntsville, AL on Tuesday, April 10, 2018 - 10:01 pm:

If one side is wearing more incorrect camber. If you had feathering then toe in. Also looks like you may be over inflated. It wouldn't hurt to adjust toe in as well as camber. You will need to copy and past the URL below as the hyperlink didn't copy correctly.

www.venturetrailers.com/pdfs/Tire Wear Chart.pdf

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Tuesday, April 10, 2018 - 10:08 pm:

They look like the tires on my T as far as tread loss down the center of the tire goes. I think that's pretty much how those "T-Driver" tires wear. They would have to run seriously under-inflated for the edges of that tread pattern to have contact with pavement.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Hood -Long Beach, California on Tuesday, April 10, 2018 - 10:50 pm:

Too much toe-in (tires too close together in the front) as indicated by the feathered edge on the inside of the center tread. Yes that is changed by tie rod adjustment.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, April 10, 2018 - 11:52 pm:

http://dauntlessgeezer.com/DG104.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alan Long Western Australia on Wednesday, April 11, 2018 - 04:40 am:

Agree. If both front tyres have the same wear pattern going on itís definitely excessive Toe In
Excessive Toe out = the same wear pattern but on the inside edge of the Tyre. Set your toe in to 1/8 - 1/4Ē.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Wednesday, April 11, 2018 - 05:55 am:

Yes, I was driving under-inflated for awhile after my air compressor broke. Finally got it fixed and got them back up to 55-60 lbs. The wear though was much more on the fronts than the rears and the treads on the outer edges of the fronts are really close to smooth at this point. Was hard to see before I cleaned off the dirt which is why it got left unchecked.

So, Iíll adjust the toe in before I do any more driving. We have a few days of rain coming and my T era garage is too tiny for that kind of work so Iíll have to wait to fix the problem. Looks like these front tires wonít last the summer. Also have a weeping freeze plug to replace in the same session. Need to break out my buffalo nickels. :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration