Oh great!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Oh great!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Tuesday, April 10, 2018 - 06:01 pm:

I guess this learning thing just keeps going. Went to the shop to get an easy out for work this morning and noticed that the right rear tire is flat from my drive sunday. I had added 5 lbs before my drive after sitting all winter. I guess I will learn how to fix a T flat. Havent patched a tube since my 1st car a 53 Ähe^y. I have a rim spreader and patches. Let the fun begin.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Tuesday, April 10, 2018 - 06:07 pm:

It is only flat on the bottom. Just turn it over and youíll be fine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Pawelek Brookshire, Texas on Tuesday, April 10, 2018 - 06:12 pm:

Just call AAA and get ready for some great fun when the truck arrives.....:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Tuesday, April 10, 2018 - 06:34 pm:

I think you both should come help me. We could have a lot of fun.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Tuesday, April 10, 2018 - 06:42 pm:

Dallas-
Pull out the valve core, clean it out, and put it back in and try to air it up again. Sometimes when you air up a tire, a little bit of debris will get in the valve and cause a slow leak. Air it up and give it another day or two.

: ^ )

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Tuesday, April 10, 2018 - 06:50 pm:

Keith, I never thought of that. I do live on a gravel road. I have to look but I usually keep caps on them but have been known to forget to put them back on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Tuesday, April 10, 2018 - 07:17 pm:

Kieth, just removed valve core and blew out stem. Worth a try. The cap was on. Now where to find old air to put back in ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Dizer on Tuesday, April 10, 2018 - 07:27 pm:

You can find the old air with the canned Lucas electrical smoke! Aisle 3 I think, at local auto part store!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Tuesday, April 10, 2018 - 11:27 pm:

Iím sure someone here has some NOS Ford air.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Martin Vowell, Sylmar, CA on Wednesday, April 11, 2018 - 03:43 am:

Carry a spare or two...I carry two...if one is good, then two just hast to be better still. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Wednesday, April 11, 2018 - 03:53 am:

Dallas, I had a front tire on the green TT that went flat all at once after setting a couple of years or so. Never leaked down, just went flat. The core seal had just disintegrated while setting there. No telling how old it was, old tube that had probably been in there for years. Put in a new core and never went flat again until I took it off of the TT some time later. A little spit on the core will tell you pretty quick if it is leaking. Of course soapy water will do the same thing, but spit is closer and handier. :-) Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eugene Story on Wednesday, April 11, 2018 - 05:41 am:

THE SMOKE LEAKED OUT OF ONE OF MY ELECTRIC MOTORS AND NOW IT WON'T RUN ANY MORE.. will that Lucas electrical smoke fix the motor?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Wednesday, April 11, 2018 - 06:09 am:

Eugene, it may if your motor is RHD.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Wednesday, April 11, 2018 - 06:24 am:

Dallas, you just have to pick the right place to have a flat. Years ago on a National T tour with my 14, I pulled up to an intersection where there was a Good Year tire store. The guys were sitting out front on a break and they hollered over to me that I had a flat tire. They yelled to me to pull it in, and they would fix it for free. They were all excited to work on a Model T. I figured to myself what a deal even though they didnít know what they were getting into. They really had a heck of a time repairing it. They told me that they do 18 wheelers all day long and they were easier than repairing the T tire. They got it together and I gave them a good tip, and we were on our way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Wednesday, April 11, 2018 - 06:33 am:

I have a good spare I carry with me. I have had good luck with flats as flat tire go. Two have been at home and one just as we pulled off the interstate off ramp. Not a goodyear store but at least its in the shop. I havnt been to the shop yet this morning but I will let you know if its still up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Wednesday, April 11, 2018 - 08:54 am:

No such luck. FLAT. some time this week I will break it down and see what the problem is. Any tips would be good. The tires have good tread but have light checking. They look fairly hard as it is not flat to the rim but about 2 inches from sitting on the rim.with demountable rims it shouldnt be too tuff.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Wednesday, April 11, 2018 - 09:07 am:

Next month the MRS and I are going to the Model T Museum and then Gilmore. So if you can wait, I think you are between these two locals and we can help you fix the flat or at least make the other side match so it rides evenly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Sims--Reed City,Mich. on Wednesday, April 11, 2018 - 09:14 am:

Dallas, use the rim expander carefully to collapse the rim but do not use it to expand it. Easy to bend the rim. Cut two pieces of 2x6 to the curve of the rim and one on top and bottom with a jack between to expand the rim. Will push from center of rim and not twist it

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Wednesday, April 11, 2018 - 09:18 am:

Thanks Vern, I thought I would put the spare on and then I would have a spare flat. You guys are always willing to helpthe new guys! I plan on going to Gilmore. May even drive the T. Its only 1 1/2 hours in a modern so 3hrs would be a good run.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Wednesday, April 11, 2018 - 05:16 pm:

This little bugger is the problem. I got screwed!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Wednesday, April 11, 2018 - 06:15 pm:

After a bid wrestling match on the shop floor and some head scratching, I pulled out the old smarter than me phone and done a thread search mtfca.
Wah Lah. 2009 thread about installing tube and flap in tire the install on rim as a unit. You guys help people years down the road!!! Tire is mounted and wheel is on the car. Thanks MTFCA!!! Vern, you guys can still stop by. Plenty of T work to be done or at least talk about it over coffee.
Drive safe and often.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration