Locktite 660

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Locktite 660
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Tuesday, April 10, 2018 - 09:09 pm:

Has anyone used it ? Is it a good fix ? What are the limitations ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jack Putnam, Bluffton, Ohio on Tuesday, April 10, 2018 - 09:51 pm:

It is great when used as intended and as directed.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Tuesday, April 10, 2018 - 11:10 pm:

There are different types for sem-permanent & permanent use.

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Wednesday, April 11, 2018 - 10:45 am:

I'm intending to fix a loose bearing race in a front hub. Picked up a tube of it at the local bearing supply, no information sheet, directions on the tube simply say to knead the tube before use, smear it around, and re-assemble parts. ??!?

Looking for more/better help online a couple of videos show a different container, special "Loktite" stuff to clean and prep parts, and an "activator". No mention I found of different types of "660". Thoughts ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Denny Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Wednesday, April 11, 2018 - 11:05 am:

I have used Locktite 660 on a mower deck bushing and was told by the farm equipment supplier where I got it to make sure everything is clean and where you want it because you have very little working time before it sets and once it does your done. I dry fitted all the parts marked them as to assembly needs and applied the 660 as instructed. I went back to the equipment supplier to pick up a belt and they ask how I made out because they had a fellow who didn't follow their instructions and it took a 24 ton press to separate the parts he had so use care when assembling.

I ran the deck all last year with no issues on a 50 year old lawnmower.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Wednesday, April 11, 2018 - 11:07 am:

Loctite doesn't fill large gaps - the surfaces need to be within a certain tolerance - at least press fit. The surfaces need to be clean.

I've only used Loctite once on a front ball bearing cup. So far, no problems.

The old fashioned solution was to use gasket cement on spun cups and races.

Here are detailed instructions:

http://www.loctite.sg/sea/content_data/93755_Loctite_660_Quick_Metal_Retaining_C ompound.pdf

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, April 11, 2018 - 11:13 am:

I would say up to .020 is a good size gap as stated in the info on their site.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Sullivan on Wednesday, April 11, 2018 - 12:57 pm:

I have used 660 Locktite with great success. It will overcome large gaps, and save many otherwise unusable parts, especially good for emergencies when replacements are not available, and the machine needs to run. Seems to me that the compressive and shear strengths are about 5400 P.S.I. Dave in Bellingham, WA

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Wednesday, April 11, 2018 - 03:00 pm:

Thanks for the help and the wisdom fellows !! Always much appreciated !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By paul griesse--Granville,Ohio on Wednesday, April 11, 2018 - 04:38 pm:

Good stuff---need to heat to 400 degrees to remove it. It won`t budge withour the heat.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Wednesday, April 11, 2018 - 07:34 pm:

It would help all of us if we were given more than just the Loctite number for the product. As FJ says, there are lots of different Loctite products with a range of varied applications. It sounds like 660 is what I know as Quickmetal. Its intended purpose is way different to Nutlocker and Bearing mount.

Allan from down under.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration