Battery connection

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Battery connection
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Heavner on Friday, April 13, 2018 - 12:29 pm:

Starting up the T was ok the first time this year, then the next time I tried it wouldn't start. The lights were ok and the horn worked, just not enough juice for the starter motor. I would tighten the nut on the battery cable connection and it would start, but the connection still seemed loose. The next time the same thing would happen. I began to wonder if it was the battery post that was loose. As I tried to tighten and loosen the nut it wouldn't move either way. I removed the cable and as I was trying the loosen the nut, the screw broke. It was bent causing the nut to bind. After replacing the screw, everything works just fine now. The simple solutions seem to work best most of the time. Sometimes starting problems can be traced to the battery cables.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, April 13, 2018 - 12:40 pm:

Once a year I disconnect and inspect each battery terminal and post, and give both a good brushing with one of these.

brush01

brush02

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Heavner on Friday, April 13, 2018 - 02:34 pm:

Mark. I disconnect when I am not using the T and charge the batteries. I also use one of those to clean the terminal and posts. It works well. One time when the T would not start, all it took was cleaning the posts and terminals.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Given - St. Paul, MN on Friday, April 13, 2018 - 02:55 pm:

Have you checked the battery voltage level? Mine is like that when the battery is week.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Heavner on Friday, April 13, 2018 - 03:19 pm:

Thanks Jason. My battery is fine. It was a loose connection. It starts right up every time now. I am getting into the habit of checking for anything loose before moving on.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Claverie, Memphis TN on Friday, April 13, 2018 - 05:55 pm:

Reminds me of the time a couple of guys at school opened the hood of a teacher's car, removed a battery cable, wrapped the post with a couple of turns of Scotch tape, then re-installed and tightened the cable.

Of course, the fellow from the garage stuck his load tester's prongs onto the posts, and read a good battery.

Lesson learned: The connection between the post and the clamp is a good place to start looking for the cause of a problem.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Thursday, April 19, 2018 - 05:35 am:

Right or wrong, I put a drop or two of oil on the post connections to keep them from corroding. Has worked for me for over fifty years. JMHO Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Thursday, April 19, 2018 - 05:40 am:

Stainless steel bolts and nuts on the clamps work good to. :-) Dave

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration