Overcharged Battery and Rough Running?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Overcharged Battery and Rough Running?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Davis-Williams - Lake City, MI on Friday, April 13, 2018 - 08:05 pm:

Will an overcharged battery cause the engine to run rough? I have a new generator on the car kicking out about 8 amps. After about 15 minutes of driving at cruising speed it develops a rough non rhythmic miss and sputters. Then if I kick up the throttle it goes away until I reach a steady speed, then sputters again. When I turn the headlights and have a 3 amp discharge, it smooths right out.

The car has a 6v diode cut out. Once the 6v voltage regulators are available again I plan on going with that. I do have an 8 volt VR I bought last summer when it had an 8v battery but I don't want to go back to 8v...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, April 13, 2018 - 08:20 pm:

Nope. The rough running has some other cause, sorry.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Davis-Williams - Lake City, MI on Friday, April 13, 2018 - 08:25 pm:

Lol, that's what I get for trying to lazily diagnose, but I was trying to be hopeful... I guess I better check out that 92 year wiring harness...or do the obvious first and check the sparkplugs!

Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Friday, April 13, 2018 - 08:32 pm:

And the timer. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, April 13, 2018 - 10:02 pm:

Or fuel flow.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Davis. Tomball Texas on Friday, April 13, 2018 - 10:27 pm:

If You can turn the head lights on and then off several times in close succession with a minute or two in between during Your drive and the problem come and goes in direct correlation to it, You may be on to something, have You tried switching to magneto when the problem starts if its ok on the mag that should rule out timer,spark and fuel system, but no cigar just yet.it's the little bugs that eat Your lunch, Good Luck

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Saturday, April 14, 2018 - 06:43 am:

I wonder if its not an issue in the ignition switch?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Davis-Williams - Lake City, MI on Saturday, April 14, 2018 - 09:18 am:

Fuel flow is strong. It doesn't have a mag, previous owner had it removed in the rebuild, so I'm running a Texas t distributor and electronic ignition. Right now I can only dream of a mag and timer as I collect parts to reinstall someday.... Thank you guys for the input.

I will post my outcome when I figure it out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Dizer on Saturday, April 14, 2018 - 09:31 am:

Since you are running electronic ignition, over voltage may well cause your problem. You might put a ballast resistor in line to the power wire to the ignition.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Royster on Sunday, April 15, 2018 - 08:44 pm:

Oddly enough there is an article in the V-8 Forum about the points sticking in the cutout on the generator in a 6vt system causing this problem intermittent rough running. I experienced it first hand this past weekend. You can file the points or get a new cutout as they are not expensive.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Sunday, April 15, 2018 - 08:58 pm:

8 amps is WAY TOO HIGH a charge rate to be hitting the battery with when using a cutout. This is because unlike a regulator the cutout does NOT reduce the charge in proportion to the needs of the battery and car. Reduce the charge rate to about 4 amps until you get a new regulator on there at which times that should go away. The coil may be getting really hot and might play into the problem as well since overheating it can produce erratic operation and you won't be helping it any by charging about twice the amount you need.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration