Will an overcharged battery cause the engine to run rough? I have a new generator on the car kicking out about 8 amps. After about 15 minutes of driving at cruising speed it develops a rough non rhythmic miss and sputters. Then if I kick up the throttle it goes away until I reach a steady speed, then sputters again. When I turn the headlights and have a 3 amp discharge, it smooths right out.
The car has a 6v diode cut out. Once the 6v voltage regulators are available again I plan on going with that. I do have an 8 volt VR I bought last summer when it had an 8v battery but I don't want to go back to 8v...
Nope. The rough running has some other cause, sorry.
Lol, that's what I get for trying to lazily diagnose, but I was trying to be hopeful... I guess I better check out that 92 year wiring harness...or do the obvious first and check the sparkplugs!
And the timer.
Or fuel flow.
If You can turn the head lights on and then off several times in close succession with a minute or two in between during Your drive and the problem come and goes in direct correlation to it, You may be on to something, have You tried switching to magneto when the problem starts if its ok on the mag that should rule out timer,spark and fuel system, but no cigar just yet.it's the little bugs that eat Your lunch, Good Luck
I wonder if its not an issue in the ignition switch?
Fuel flow is strong. It doesn't have a mag, previous owner had it removed in the rebuild, so I'm running a Texas t distributor and electronic ignition. Right now I can only dream of a mag and timer as I collect parts to reinstall someday.... Thank you guys for the input.
I will post my outcome when I figure it out.
Since you are running electronic ignition, over voltage may well cause your problem. You might put a ballast resistor in line to the power wire to the ignition.
Oddly enough there is an article in the V-8 Forum about the points sticking in the cutout on the generator in a 6vt system causing this problem intermittent rough running. I experienced it first hand this past weekend. You can file the points or get a new cutout as they are not expensive.
8 amps is WAY TOO HIGH a charge rate to be hitting the battery with when using a cutout. This is because unlike a regulator the cutout does NOT reduce the charge in proportion to the needs of the battery and car. Reduce the charge rate to about 4 amps until you get a new regulator on there at which times that should go away. The coil may be getting really hot and might play into the problem as well since overheating it can produce erratic operation and you won't be helping it any by charging about twice the amount you need.