Struggling to fine a Free Neutral :-(

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Struggling to fine a Free Neutral :-(
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By SID KHONA on Saturday, April 14, 2018 - 11:20 am:

Dear All,

I have been struggling to find a free Neutral despite all possible efforts. While the T hand brake-lever, plays well on hand-brake and High Gear, getting a free neutral is a struggle.

I have tried all possible help from the Forum but to no avail. Do I need to do anything inside dog-housing at all?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By ROBERT BERGSTADT on Saturday, April 14, 2018 - 11:33 am:

try putting it in high gear for a day or two with out starting it to squeeze the oil out of the clutch plates then see how it feels , start it and let it run for a bit should help quite a bit, Bob

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By SID KHONA on Saturday, April 14, 2018 - 11:35 am:

Thanks Rob. Let me try this as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Humble Northern Michigan on Saturday, April 14, 2018 - 11:42 am:

There is no true neutral for a model t, you have most likely already found neutral with the hand brake position, just will not be in the conventional sense. This is why you cannot tow a t without damaging it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Saturday, April 14, 2018 - 12:57 pm:

Um, what is the fine for having a free neutral--is the fine administered by the local club or the national club???
:-)
Nyuk Nyuk Nyuk, It's a JOKE son, I say A JOKE!
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Saturday, April 14, 2018 - 01:37 pm:

If you can start the car with the brake pulled on, and the car doesn't roll, you have a "free neutral". It really is not free as in a car with stick shift. The car will still be a bit hard to push by hand. When you pull back the lever into the neutral position, you should be able to crank the engine without moving the car. And you should be able to push the car without turning the engine.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Van Maanen on Saturday, April 14, 2018 - 02:39 pm:

On page 49 of the MTFCA engine manual is a section from Ted Aschman's Tinkerin Tips. It has the procedure for adjusting for a free neutral. I have used it on several T's and it always worked.

Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C west central, MN on Saturday, April 14, 2018 - 11:55 pm:

Sid, click on this link and scroll down to Ricks - Surf City post. I've used this. Works good.
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/331880/366378.html?1372046454
Read it again. Any questions due to the language, ask. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By SID KHONA on Sunday, April 15, 2018 - 12:12 pm:

Thank you All.

I just saw this video on youtube...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gTL5z32pqtU and please slide to 4 Min 40 Seconds..I noticed that the Clutch and the Brake Pedals move when moving the lever from handbrake to neutral or fast gear. In my case there is absolutely no such movement and even it there is it is fairly negligible. Am I missing something really critical with my settings?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By SID KHONA on Sunday, April 15, 2018 - 12:17 pm:

It is actually at 4 Min and 30 Seconds.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration