Toe-in “gather” adjustment fun today

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Toe-in “gather” adjustment fun today
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Saturday, April 14, 2018 - 03:01 pm:

So I worked out in the cold this morning to investigate the toe-in problem that was wearing my front tires on the outside edges. We’re getting an ice storm or freezing rain later today. I discovered that the front tires were almost 1 1/2” pigeon toed! What a dope ... I hadn’t checked this when I reassembled the front end even though I rebuilt everything else down there. As Homer Simpson would say “d’oh.”

With a starter motor working so nicely I haven’t spent much time in the front of the car and so didn’t really notice the tires were wearing cockeyed until recently. A shame since I did find a set of unused Universal Driver tires on eBay for a good price. The backs are fine. I’ll drive the fronts until the wear is even and maybe get some new tires at Hershey unless anyone out there has two slightly used ones they are willing to sell.

A “non-T” friend helped me with the adjustment. We put a piece of silver duct tape on each tire and marked them with an + with a fine point sharpie. He had an interesting telescoping gauge he had made from an old adjustable pole lamp and it really helped to have a second person to center each pointer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alan Long Western Australia on Saturday, April 14, 2018 - 09:43 pm:

Glad to hear you have found the issue Mark.
Alan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Saturday, April 14, 2018 - 10:01 pm:

The front tires that are worn on the outside will NEVER wear evenly.
They will wear equal amounts on both sides and center.
You didn’t mention what size tires you need, somebody might surprise you with a gift! I’ve had gifts from at least two forum members. One as free and a rear fender was a real bargain.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Saturday, April 14, 2018 - 10:05 pm:

I had my suspicions about the wear .. and they were confirmed here on the forum by those who have been that route before. Guess I had been lucky with my last T that I never had to make the adjustment. The wear was slow and even. Had the same tires for years.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Saturday, April 14, 2018 - 10:08 pm:

Aaron, these are Universal Driver 30 x 3 1/2” clincher tires in case anyone out there is feeling generous. :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration