Old Photo: Family Ride

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Old Photo: Family Ride
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Arthur Babitz on Saturday, April 14, 2018 - 06:09 pm:

Here's another nice T image from our local museum (The History Museum of Hood River County (Oregon). This is A.I. Mason and family out for a ride in their very shiny 1914? T. No one wanted to be left home.

The Masons were among the early orchardists of Pine Grove in the Hood River valley. The area still looks very similar, though the road is paved. I hope to take my '27 pickup up there once I trust the steering and brakes.

Was it common to run smooth tires in the front and tread on the back?

1914 T

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Saturday, April 14, 2018 - 06:13 pm:

1914 body BUT 1913 Vanguard windshield - it's folded forward - 1914 folds rearward !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daren Carlson on Saturday, April 14, 2018 - 06:41 pm:

Smile.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Saturday, April 14, 2018 - 06:46 pm:

A nice crisp clear photo. Always fun to see.
Thanks
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Saturday, April 14, 2018 - 09:22 pm:

Hey Arthur, GREAT photos, I look forward to your posts,keep them coming!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Bourgeois on Saturday, April 14, 2018 - 10:03 pm:

I see itís got to gas headlights. Where is the gas store? There is a toolbox at the driver side which should be a door.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jay - In Northern California on Saturday, April 14, 2018 - 10:09 pm:

Great Photo!! Thanks for sharing it with us.:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Saturday, April 14, 2018 - 10:53 pm:

No driver's door on U.S. production cars until 1926 except TTs & Torpedos, I believe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, April 14, 2018 - 11:27 pm:

Late '13 or early '14. '14 style body which started being used in July of 1913 due to the weakness in the design of the rear section on the "true" '13s. Car then has the '13 style front fenders and windshield which were apparently intermixed with the newer styles for a couple months. I don't know the lamps well enough to speculate on the maker or series of lamps. I know they did change several times through the two years ('13 and '14).
Since the car has a "tool box" on the running board, and no carbide acetylene generator, it likely would have a Prestolite tank acetylene tank somewhere. It could be under the rear seat, on the other side running board (not common then because it tended to be in the way for people getting in and out of the car, but it was done sometimes), maybe even mounted under the car (seldom done, but I have seen a few pictures that way!), or even inside the "tool box".
As to Steve B's last comment, the USA built model Ts did not have a door on the drivers position on either runabout or touring cars until after 1925 (once the front was enclosed in 1912 for the touring cars and 1913 for the runabouts).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, April 15, 2018 - 10:44 am:

What do you think that rod is next to the horn bulb, maybe a cutout? That car is most definitely an early '14. It still has a lot of '13 features.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Sunday, April 15, 2018 - 11:04 am:

That might a pressurizing pump for the gas tank. Probably need it in those hills when low on gas.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Warren on Sunday, April 15, 2018 - 11:08 am:

Side lamps appear to be E&J. What is the plunger looking rod next to the driver? Great photo thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Sunday, April 15, 2018 - 04:50 pm:

I have an extremely knowledgeable person right next to me and he thinks the car is a '13. I think it's an early '14.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Warren F Rollins on Sunday, April 15, 2018 - 04:59 pm:

For what it's worth, I think it is an early 14 also. I would bet there are several 13 parts on this car. Wish we could see the seats. Armrest folds look like leather.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allen Banks on Sunday, April 15, 2018 - 05:02 pm:

Looks like the gent has a banged up finger.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, April 15, 2018 - 08:30 pm:

It can be called either '13 (late) or '14 (early), and most likely be correct either way. It IS a '14 style body, and like the '24 style cars built in July of '23 are usually said should be called '24 because of the confusion of people getting wrong parts and information (high radiator versus low radiator and ALL the surrounding parts and body construction that is different). The number and severity of changes between the '23 and '24 style that they really should be called by the style, and not the month/year built.
Truly, the same thing could be said of the change from '13 to '14. Any way you slice it? Either way for the '13/'14 is not really wrong. I do feel the '23/'24 needs to be called by the actual style year for the simple reason that otherwise, without always being absolutely clear about what you have and what you need? One IS going to get the wrong parts or advice. I have seen that happen way too many times.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Sunday, April 15, 2018 - 09:44 pm:

I would bet that the one-eyed guy on the running board loses his hat at 5 MPH.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Monday, April 16, 2018 - 12:21 am:

I agree that it is a '14 style body. Probably a Beaudette.

The July, August and September cars have "1913" serial numbers and Ford must have counted them as "1913 cars" even though they had the new body style. I have one but I call it a '14. It's a Beaudette and the bead in the rear panel is different than later '14's.

The gas headlights are E&J and the Prest-O-Lite "B" tank is probably in the "tool box".

Here is an add for them:

The box with the "B" tank valve on the outside is OK but I sure wouldn't carry my Prest-O-Lite tank inside a tool box or under the seat.

I blew the door open on a Victor spotlight I have on the '14 using a friction flint igniter a year ago. Didn't hurt anything but got my attention regarding "enclosed spaces" and acetylene.

Ken in Texas

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration