Removing mold release from new tires - The Answer!

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Removing mold release from new tires - The Answer!
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Hoffer on Sunday, April 15, 2018 - 12:14 pm:

I installed new Universal ribbed tires in January and am now ready to mount the front wheels. The tires were covered with the waxing mold release that looks chalky or brown and is super slick. You all know what I'm talking about.

So I made a few buckets of super hot, super strong suds of various concoctions with these results: Murphy's Oil Soap - no good here. Dawn dish detergent - no good. Cheer laundry soap - nope.

I tried brake cleaner, which cut the coating, but wanted something that was not that harsh and which I could use inside (83 degrees and sunny yesterday in Philadelphia, 40 degrees and raining today). I looked on the forum for information but turned up nothing. So I did some searching and here is The Answer!

Goo Gone.

Yup, Goo Gone. All you have to do is spray a mist of this stuff on the tire, wait maybe 30 seconds, and simply wipe it off. No rubbing, no scrubbing, no elbow grease. The coating all comes off on your rag. Took me 20 minutes to do all four tires front and back. It's a miracle!

I am going to wait until later today to put tire dressing on them. I like Lucas Slick Mist Tire & Trim Shine - it feeds the rubber and gives a very natural look. Plus it's cheap.

Hope this saves you all some time and work. Cheers, Bill

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration