Help With Early Brass Fuel Oil Pressure Pump?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Help With Early Brass Fuel Oil Pressure Pump?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duane Epper on Monday, April 16, 2018 - 05:09 pm:

Just picked this up and at first I thought it was an early fuel pressure pump. But it has 2 check balls, one for pulling in and one for pushing out. Now I'm thinking it could be for oil or maybe water for an early car? Any help??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim R. Wynn on Tuesday, April 17, 2018 - 03:06 pm:

Pressuring fuel tank with air. Would help on steep uphill grades but VERY dangerous!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem S.E. Michigan on Tuesday, April 17, 2018 - 03:54 pm:

Duane,

Yes, pulling in air, and pushing out air.

Kim,

Why is it VERY dangerous? You only need one or two psi?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Wednesday, April 18, 2018 - 10:13 am:

I wonder too. Very common on speedsters

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Grisbee---Cheyenne Wyo on Saturday, April 21, 2018 - 12:15 am:

We had a '15 Cadillac for 24 years and it had the air on tank system from the factory as did several years after that. Hand pumped up a couple pounds,started it and a small pump on the engine kept the pressure up. Worked fine unless crud built up in the tank like might happen on any other vehicle. '15 also had a gear-driven tire pump on the top front of the engine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Grisbee---Cheyenne Wyo on Saturday, April 21, 2018 - 12:21 am:

Looking again at Duane's pump again,I think it's a primer pump for fuel,not air with the hard piping in and out and the valve.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Saturday, April 21, 2018 - 06:22 pm:

Lots of cars use air pressure in the fuel tank. Just about any early race car up into the 50's used a hand air pump to provide fuel pressure.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration