Tie Rod Help

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Tie Rod Help
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gene Emering on Tuesday, April 17, 2018 - 04:42 pm:

I am attempting to rebuild the front end on my 1924 Touring and have run into some hopefully minor setbacks.
I have a new (Lang's) tie rod yoke ball, new ball cap, and new tie rod bolts with flip oilers.
The yoke on the driver's side has threads that are worn/stripped from wear.
I'm guessing a good used tie rod or NOS tie rod is in order?
Any advice/help is greatly appreciated.
I have placed an ad in the classified section and contacted Lang's. They may have a better tie rod and will check and get back to me.

Gene

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Tuesday, April 17, 2018 - 08:13 pm:

Gene, repair is necessary, either by replacing the tie rod or fixing the old one. If the rod is sound otherwise, the worn eye can be bronzed up, re-drilled and tapped to take the new pin. The thread in the eye is there to be backed up by the pin nut as a locknut. For the thread to wear, the locknut must have been loose at some time, allowing the thread to 'work' in service.
Hope this helps.

Allan from down under.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration