Radiator overflow tank

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Radiator overflow tank
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By tommy coffey on Tuesday, April 17, 2018 - 08:52 pm:

I'm thinking about putting a catch tank on our '21 Touring for the radiator overflow. I don't care about a recovery system but I hate for people to freak out when we park at a cruise in and the car pushes out some water. It deosn't puke out much but a little looks like a lot on the pavement underneath the car. Anybody use one? And no it won't be a beer can, not on my car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, April 17, 2018 - 08:56 pm:

Unless your car has an overheating problem, you are filling the cooling system too full. As the water heats up it expands and overflows. If you leave it about half way down the top tank, when the engine is cold, it should not spill out when it warms out. Be sure and check that it is actually about half way up and what you see is not a wet baffle. Shake the car a bit when you check to see the water bounces around.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Given - St. Paul, MN on Tuesday, April 17, 2018 - 11:17 pm:

I agree, let the T find it's happy spot. I might add a little coolant in the spring, let it expand overflow, and let it be happy all summer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Bamford, Edmonton AB on Wednesday, April 18, 2018 - 12:40 am:

I agree you shouldn't need one if your coolant is at the proper level, but just for conversation, here is one I ran a couple years ago on my '24 Speedster.

We were running at the local "Street Legal) drags (bracket racing) and one of the rules required a coolant overflow tank be installed.

It stayed dry the whole time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, April 18, 2018 - 02:42 am:

Let 'em freak. :-)

Norm is correct. If your radiator is OK it will barf out any overfill. You can put in too much and the car will correct it for you. As long as there's enough to cover the baffle you're OK.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Doris, AZ on Wednesday, April 18, 2018 - 12:11 pm:

Until the overfill is barfed out, people will be telling you something is leaking from your car. I had one guy follow me into a parking lot just to tell me I was leaking coolant.

Installed a temporary plastic overflow bottle just to find out how much was overflowing. So far, the quart bottle is about 1/3rd full. Overflow appears to have stopped at this point.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Wednesday, April 18, 2018 - 02:11 pm:

If the radiator is still pretty decent you won't need an overflow tank. Barfing out water is caused by to much coolant in most instances. Try it and see.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eugene Story on Wednesday, April 18, 2018 - 08:46 pm:

I put a royal crown whisky bottle for a over flow which the car never uses. People at car shows really like the bottle. Royal crown bottles are real fancy.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration