'25 Coupe Wiring Question

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: '25 Coupe Wiring Question
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Wednesday, April 18, 2018 - 03:35 am:

I recently bought a wiring harness #5041 ('22-'25) from Lang's that says "original Style". As far as I can tell, the taillight wire (it has the male plug) is black. The wiring diagrams that I have found say it is green. What am I missing? Thanks in advance, Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Davis. Tomball Texas on Wednesday, April 18, 2018 - 10:47 am:

All the Texas T / Birdhaven wiring diagrams I have show tail light wire to be black for all models including the 1919 to 1925 year range, they do show a green wire highlighted in diagram going to left turn signal in what appears to be separate wiring just for adding turn signals.Black seems to be the correct color ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, April 18, 2018 - 11:22 am:

The black with stripes are the head light solid green or black tail light. The diagrams I looked at had green but it's no big deal. Just wire it as it were green.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Wednesday, April 18, 2018 - 11:28 am:

I bought a harness from Lang's about three or four years ago. It is my understanding that Lang's has switched suppliers since then. My taillight wire is black. If you bought your harness recently, it would seem that both suppliers used black. From that I would conclude that black is the correct color.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Wednesday, April 18, 2018 - 11:30 am:

Just make do with what you have. I have a '25 too, and didn't like Langs show quality wiring at all, and had to have a local company make mine from original patterns I have collected, which cost me twice what Langs charged.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Friday, April 20, 2018 - 01:00 am:

Thanks guys. I agree that using a black wire is no big deal, I just wanted to make sure it doesn't go somewhere else. As far as I know, the taillight wire is the only one with the male plug on it. The loom doesn't have a green wire in it. If I recall correctly, when I wired my '23 TT it did have a green wire for the taillight, but that was about fifteen years ago. This car ('25 coupe) has been rewired probably back in the early '60's and the taillight doesn't work on one of the positions of the light switch, I don't recall if it is dim or bright. Just trying to get my ducks in a row, :-) Thanks again, Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, April 20, 2018 - 01:45 am:

Could have been wired wrong or there was a switch issue. The tail light has it's own terminal both at the switch and on the terminal strip on the firewall and should work when the light switch is on in ether position.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Friday, April 20, 2018 - 05:01 am:

Yep Mark, I think it is wired wrong. That is one of the reasons why I'm gathering up stuff to rewire it. The headlights are awful dim too, you almost need to light a match to see if they're on. :-) :-) Thanks, Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, April 20, 2018 - 10:09 am:

David;
Remove the lights and clean the mounting points. Also clean the area where the socket slides thru the shell. Weak lights=bad grounds.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Sunday, April 22, 2018 - 11:51 pm:

Yep Mark, done all that. I'm thinking I have some other "dirty" connections. Thanks, Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Davis. Tomball Texas on Monday, April 23, 2018 - 12:27 am:

David, You can test the lights directly and by pass the light switch by using a alligator clip jumper wire at the wiring terminal block under the hood, just jump from the battery yellow lead to the individual wires going to the left,right high/low beams and the tail light, might help narrow down the problem, and makes testing easier not having to reach in the car every time to turn lights on and off while testing.and this way you can isolate each light for testing, problem could be in the ignition / light switch, My China Special Retro switch has something shorting out in it, has a glowing light from inside the switch on High beam and shoots sparks on Low.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Monday, April 23, 2018 - 02:29 am:

Good idea Jim, thanks. I'll give that a shot. Dave

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration