Ignition switch

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Ignition switch
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george loranger on Thursday, April 19, 2018 - 06:28 pm:

I called langs today to buy a repo ignition switch or to overhaul the one i have, i was told they have been out of the repos for 8 months and do not have all the parts to rebuild a original. is there a source to buy a rebuilt or who may have the parts to rebuild?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Thursday, April 19, 2018 - 06:44 pm:

You might try the other T vendors, may have a repro in stock.

If your switch core is decent and with key, call Ben Martin, he rebuilds. May take a bit, as he does great rebuilds, but always has work at hand.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry Sherman on Wednesday, May 02, 2018 - 12:28 am:

Dan,thanks for Ben's info. I tried the "new" switches people sell now a days and they are Chinese crap (no offense to any Chinese people).
I bought one from Lang's or Snyder's or whatever and it broke the first day. I'll probably send a switch or two to Ben to be rebuilt. Jerry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill on Wednesday, May 02, 2018 - 07:38 am:

I got the parts from Gaslight auto parts in Urbana Ohio

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Hoops - Burton,Texas on Wednesday, May 02, 2018 - 08:28 am:

I tried to fix the switch on my '22 roadster with repro parts. The parts didn't fit right. I sent the switch to Ben and I got it back quickly and at a very reasonable price. He apologized to me saying that the switch was in such bad shape that he feared it wasn't quite up to his standards, but that has been a few years ago and the switch still acts like a brand new one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Wednesday, May 02, 2018 - 09:31 am:

The re-build kits kind of su*k for sure. If you're handy enough you can make at least some of the parts work. If not or any doubts send it out.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Wednesday, May 02, 2018 - 09:47 am:

What if you have a core without a key?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Wednesday, May 02, 2018 - 10:00 am:

I don't think they would be difficult to re-key when completely disassembled. Figure out the pattern and file a blank to fit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Wednesday, May 02, 2018 - 10:30 am:

I collected several switches I purchased from ebay and other places, and took some apart and made a good one out of original parts. I'm not a locksmith or anything else. I just like to do things correctly. Even Ben Martin gave me a thumbs up on the job I did. Why not give it a try?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ted Dumas on Wednesday, May 02, 2018 - 12:43 pm:

Switches are sturdy and simple. Take it apart and fix it yourself. You probably won't need any parts but need to tweak the contact springs a bit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Wednesday, May 02, 2018 - 01:05 pm:

My T switch experience has been with the 17-25 switches. I bought and collected several over the years and most every time in repairing them has been fairly simple. If a switch hasent corroded up or been in the weather they can be repaired.
I have to say I haven!t found any that had broken parts inside. It's usually the tabs aren't making good contact and simply taking the switch back off and cleaning the contact areas and carefully bending the copper tabs for a better contact and thats all it took.
I have had some that the key cylinder was worn out but not very often. Even a worn key cylinder can be used if you keep it lubricated. Mine was till I found a better switch.
Most anyone has the capability of repairing a switch. If I can anybody can.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration