Old Photo-Odd radiator on an early Model T

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Old Photo-Odd radiator on an early Model T
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Herb Iffrig on Friday, April 20, 2018 - 09:33 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By charley shaver- liberal,mo. on Friday, April 20, 2018 - 10:30 pm:

after market, got one, mine has a tin shell.will put it on my formatruck. charley

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Friday, April 20, 2018 - 10:56 pm:

Pretty neat. Charley, how about a picture of yours ? Mighty interesting. The T is a '13. Is that hops the farmer is showing off ?

Aside - I like that means of slinging the crank - I tried it, couldn't make it work without untying every time you want the crank . . . is there a trick to that ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Bergmann Sydney - Australia on Friday, April 20, 2018 - 11:58 pm:

These may be of use.
1908-09 Vertical Crankhandle http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/192154.html?1298316742
Accessory Crank Handle Holder - How Does It Mount? http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/118802/135173.html

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Saturday, April 21, 2018 - 09:28 am:

Thanks Tom, it's always of value to revisit past topics. Both cover mechanical arrangements to hold up the crank, the factory supplied item on the first 2500 Ts, and later accessories. This picture shows the crank slung on a cord or leather thong tied between the headlamps and that's what I'm trying to figure out. So far, seems it would have to be untied and re-tied every time and that's not very handy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ken Parker on Saturday, April 21, 2018 - 10:19 am:

Early '13 front fenders.

Ken in Texas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Saturday, April 21, 2018 - 10:27 am:

The original radiator lasted less than two years? Maybe a meth-head stole it for scrap?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Saturday, April 21, 2018 - 10:40 am:

Back then freezing got the best of most radiators, esp. the Ford simple type with the rolled formed split tubes.

So many that had a radiator freeze and split open went for aftermarket cores, with hex, honeycomb or ribbon type construction.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Saturday, April 21, 2018 - 10:41 am:

Rich

Period adv. shows those crank slings with a spring at one or both ends, that way the cord or wire just pulls away and when you reset the crank handle it snaps back.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Saturday, April 21, 2018 - 11:55 am:

Aha! That's it !! Thanks Dan ! (Why didn't I think of that ?)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Sunday, April 22, 2018 - 01:12 pm:

Thanks again Dan, problem solved with a saddle string and 2" cut off a screen door spring ! I feel a little guilty doing this, Liz came with a nice leather "crank holster" but I always forget to use it. Maybe I'll stow the crank if the keeper is in front of me. Besides, I like the vertical crank look !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Sunday, April 22, 2018 - 02:41 pm:

That looks like a neat adaptation.
As for the shell, I had this one for a short time:

It was steel and painted with gold paint. It may be similar to the one in Herb's picture.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Strickling on Sunday, April 22, 2018 - 09:16 pm:

So what is the crop he is holding??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Sunday, April 22, 2018 - 10:03 pm:

I still think it's hops - knowing the location would help some.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, April 22, 2018 - 10:26 pm:

Rich

Great work on the crank spring holder, me too, I like that upright crank :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration