8in1 convertible truck body restoration

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: 8in1 convertible truck body restoration
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Saturday, April 21, 2018 - 08:33 pm:

I though I would start a new thread for the 8in1 bed. I have the new 2x6 1/2 runners cut and painted to mount to the frame. I am in process of lenghtening the 1/2 square head bolts to mount the runners. Spent most of today blasting nuts and bolts. Here are some photos of the bed. All the floor needs replaced and misc. Other wood will be replaced as needed. You will have to wait to see its many features as it is just sitting on the horses. The livestock gate for the rear and tailgait as well as extensions for stock racks front and rear are not shown in these photos. I will post what little info I have on it at a later time. I have a sales brochure that Davis Stroud had when I got it from him. If anyone has any info on the 8in1 convertible truck body I would like to see it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Saturday, April 21, 2018 - 08:37 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Saturday, April 21, 2018 - 09:49 pm:

Dallas, that bed looks pretty good, very interesting. It will be interesting to see how it works.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Saturday, April 21, 2018 - 09:53 pm:

What kind of wood does it use?
That is a very neat setup.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Saturday, April 21, 2018 - 09:58 pm:

Mack, the sides are poplar and the floor is ash I think. The floor is hard to tell but when I split one open it looked like ash grain inside.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, April 22, 2018 - 10:08 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, April 22, 2018 - 10:15 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, April 22, 2018 - 10:19 am:

Looks like the 8in1 was sold by Smith for a Truck company.
Resorce: Hoards Dairyman 1917.
Rural Newyorker 1916.
Farm Engineering 1916.
The Countey Gentleman 1916.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, April 22, 2018 - 10:20 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, April 22, 2018 - 10:22 am:

Sorry I cant post larger photos

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, April 22, 2018 - 12:30 pm:

Needed longer mounting bolts. I had these.

I needed these

So after cutting grinding to a semi point and adding in some 1/2 inch round stock I found my bolt stretcher.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Sunday, April 22, 2018 - 12:47 pm:

Great project. Can't wait to see it all mounted up and in action.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, May 13, 2018 - 10:02 pm:

Well its been a while,but I am finished setting up my 1920 Rockford lathe. I had to move alot of things around in the shop to get lathe in.
Back to work on the 8in1.

And here is the lathe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Monday, May 14, 2018 - 05:57 am:

Dallas,

Thanks for posting the updates. Would probably make a good story for "The Vintage Ford." Recommend you save some of the before photos at high resolution so they can be printed.

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Monday, May 14, 2018 - 07:25 am:

Hap,I am going to put a photo album together when complete of MP cab and 8in1 bed to keep with the truck. I have to order elevator bolts for the bed floor. I will have to turn the heads on them to 3/4 inch as the 1/4-20 bolts they sell now are 1 inch heads. The details on hardware is the time consuming part of these builds. There are alot of bolts in this bed. Lucky the sides are in pretty good shape. The bottom boards on the sides need replaced and I counted 20 bolts on each side to replace bottom board. There are 60 elevator bolts in the bed floor and at least that many slot head screws. The floor supports are a mix of wood and angle iron. Some of the iron work on the bed will have to be replaced as some are rusted through. All the iron damage is confined to the floor. I will post more as progress is made.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Tuesday, May 15, 2018 - 07:16 pm:

More progress.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Tuesday, May 15, 2018 - 08:18 pm:

Dallas,

We will look forward to the updates!

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Tuesday, May 15, 2018 - 09:13 pm:

The story would be good,but i recomend the tour!! Good on ya Dallas! Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Tuesday, May 15, 2018 - 09:41 pm:

Are you coming down this was this summer?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Tuesday, May 15, 2018 - 09:41 pm:

Bud!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Wednesday, May 16, 2018 - 06:57 am:

What a cool project ! You are a lucky man Dallas...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Wednesday, May 16, 2018 - 07:35 am:

Dallas,I hope to!!!! Has your friend did anything with the car in the warehouse? Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Wednesday, May 16, 2018 - 01:32 pm:

Not yet Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Thursday, May 17, 2018 - 05:24 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Thursday, May 17, 2018 - 05:26 pm:

Not many bolts in the bed floor were saved. These are the ones that came out in one piece.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Thursday, May 17, 2018 - 05:27 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Thursday, May 17, 2018 - 05:28 pm:

New and old. The sides are in much better shape.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C west central, MN on Friday, May 18, 2018 - 08:35 pm:

A bump and a smile. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Friday, May 18, 2018 - 08:39 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Friday, May 18, 2018 - 08:40 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Friday, May 18, 2018 - 08:41 pm:

A few more new bits

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Friday, May 18, 2018 - 08:42 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Friday, May 18, 2018 - 08:44 pm:

Waiting for bolts and screws I ordered and blast a few parts before assembly and paint.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C west central, MN on Sunday, May 20, 2018 - 12:37 am:

You got a lot of goodies with that ol' Rockford!
I see that big (block?) plane on top and the carpenter's horses below.
What year is your blue Dyke's? Not the side cutter/nipper, the book. Did anyone get that? ;-)
Haha! Plant some goodies for the shot just so. Cool! Me too sometimes.
That new floor looks fantastic!
What the heck are the tall "L" bolts for? Fastening the "walls" to the floor?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, May 20, 2018 - 07:56 am:

Duey, the Dykes is about 1916 if I remember right. Yup, the L bolts hold the side panels on the bed. The plane was a garage sale find for $1. Being a carpenter I have a collection of old wood working tools or old junk as my wife calls it. I use them from time to time as needed. I had the Dykes out showing a buddy along with MTFCA books on T's. I am going today to help a guy understand a T he inherited from a family member and has no clue how to start or drive it. My 1st suggestion will be to get on this forum.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, June 03, 2018 - 08:38 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, June 03, 2018 - 08:38 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, June 03, 2018 - 08:39 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, June 03, 2018 - 08:52 pm:

Plugging along on the bed. Blasted the metal parts of the floor system and primed with etching primer. There were not 60 elevator bolts to turn down. There were 70! Along with 70 wood screws,34 carriage bolts,18 1/2 inch square head bolts and 10 1/2 inch L Bolts and all the square nuts. All blasted or replaced. I havnt started the sides yet but only the bottom 12inch boards need replaced. Only about 30 bolts and screws per side. All new wood cross members except one that was still good. Just an update. I hope to have it ready for OCF.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Sunday, June 03, 2018 - 09:12 pm:

Where else could you have that much fun?
Thanks for the updates.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Sunday, June 03, 2018 - 09:20 pm:

Dallas, the progress you have made is fantastic. I guess you were right about all the hardware. your reproductions look great.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, June 03, 2018 - 10:21 pm:

Now, just imagine if you had to drill all those holes with a hand crank drill? I have a couple of them and I have used them a few times just for kicks and giggles. There are a few things about the old days that I do NOT long for.

Looks like you are doing an excellent restoration on that truck with wonderful attention to detail!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, June 03, 2018 - 10:33 pm:

Richard I spent 11 hour yesterday in the shop.
Dan that 1920 Rockford lathe is fun to use. Not work when you have cool toys.
Wayne I think about that all the time. I have to admit, installing 70 wood screws with a screwdriver is not my idea of fun. Those guys must have had arms like Popeye. The new screws are very soft compared to original. I had to use wax on them to keep from turning out the slot in the head. I use original when I have them but I just didnt have 70 of that size.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C west central, MN on Sunday, June 03, 2018 - 11:41 pm:

Jaypers, that's gorgeous!
Good point about modern screws. Too darn soft steel.
Hmmm, how many wiped out slots do we see when taking something old apart? Not too many eh?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Monday, June 04, 2018 - 03:04 am:

Looking good Dallas!!! I wish I had thought about all of the slot head screws when you guys were here in Jan., I would have shown you how to sharpen a screwdriver so it won't mess up the slots. When done right, you can twist off a screw head by hand before it will slip. The wax is a good idea anyway. I'll see if I can make a drawing and text it to you. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Tuesday, June 05, 2018 - 09:18 am:

I file my screw drivers to fit screws. I have even cleaned up slots in screws to make them useable. It takes a small file or dremmel to do this

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Friday, July 27, 2018 - 08:19 am:

Summer is very busy for me but I have managed a few hours in the shop.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Saturday, July 28, 2018 - 02:10 am:

Lookin' good Dallas! Gonna have it ready for OCF? Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Saturday, July 28, 2018 - 06:02 am:

That looks like fun!! I would love to do a project like that.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Saturday, July 28, 2018 - 08:32 am:

Dave, I was hopefull but the time is running out. Life and work gets in the way. I will take the RPU again. Factory built trucks are the feature vehicle this year so I guess it qualifies. The TT will be ready next year.
You should plan on going next year and you can drive it again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Saturday, July 28, 2018 - 09:49 am:

Pretty soon you'll be mating it to the chassis :-)Always enjoy your (as well as others) project updates

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Saturday, July 28, 2018 - 09:57 am:

Don, you are welcome to come help. It would end up with 4 doors though if you were to work on it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C west central, MN on Sunday, July 29, 2018 - 02:12 am:

Looking fantastic!
I use a hacksaw on screw slots...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Sunday, July 29, 2018 - 04:32 am:

Dallas, I would be very happy to do that! We'll keep that in mind. I know that Tammy would probably cry a bit, heck, I might too!! If not that, maybe we could make it out to IN.Thanks for taking care of the old TT for us. :-) :-) Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Sunday, July 29, 2018 - 04:42 am:

Dallas, you're doing just exactly what I wanted to do, but just didn't have the knowledge, ability, or resources to do. Everytime I show your pictures to the family, they are VERY impressed!! I don't think we could have found a better caretaker for it, my hat is off to you sir!!! Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Sunday, July 29, 2018 - 08:08 am:

Dave Im glad you took care of it for all those years. It could have been scrapped or parted out like alot of others.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gordon A. Clayton Sr. on Sunday, July 29, 2018 - 11:27 am:

Great job Dallas.
I only hope I can do half as well.
My TT is sitting waiting for cooler weather.
It has been brutally hot here in S/W Missouri.
We now have to face the dreaded, long drive to
visit my sister on the East coast Aug 1st. Then
it's back to work on the TT. Hopefully get it
running this fall.

Gordon

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration