Good place for nickel plating.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Good place for nickel plating.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tom Carnegie Spokane, WA on Sunday, April 22, 2018 - 01:46 am:

Does anyone know a good place to get a steering gear case nickel plated?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Sunday, April 22, 2018 - 07:33 am:

Tom, has Spokane Metal Finishers at 1519 E Trent closed? Have seen some of their excellent work.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Sunday, April 22, 2018 - 08:52 am:

Tom
We still have a good plating shop in Calgary

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Sunday, April 22, 2018 - 09:10 am:

albertaplating.com

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Macleod on Sunday, April 22, 2018 - 09:22 am:

I used QualChrome for my 26 Touring. The plating was expensive but not unreasonable for the quality, which was exceptional. The car went on to get an ASGN and won Stynoski with no deductions for the plating. I would highly recommend them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Sunday, April 22, 2018 - 12:01 pm:

I haven't had any plating done for many years. I wonder how the cost of a DIY kit compares with hiring the work.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Sunday, April 22, 2018 - 01:26 pm:

I have the Caswell Brush plating kit, which I've used to do piano parts. I haven't yet done a steering case, but I think it will do it. My T friend Lloyd also has a Dodge Brothers (as do I) and some other cars, so he went all out and got their "commercial" kit. He has dons some wonderful work with it, I suspect better work than most commercial places would do--plus, since he's doing it, he puts on a very thick layer of nickel, so you don't polish through it right away. Here's the dash he did for my '16 DB touring. He also made the lock for the glove box since mine was only half there, and they are made of rare unobtainium.
The Dash light cap is a repro, and wasn't plated by Lloyd. I have found an original one to replace it!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Doris, AZ on Sunday, April 22, 2018 - 01:42 pm:

As per David, I've had good luck with the Caswell kit as well. The kit I purchased was around $60. As anyone who has done plating knows, most of the work is in polishing and preparation.

Like Eric, had my 26 radiator shell nickel plated at QualKrom in Erie, PA. They did an outstanding job.

(Message edited by AzBob on April 22, 2018)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Paul Mikeska, Denver CO on Sunday, April 22, 2018 - 04:22 pm:

I did the steering case on my 26 Coupe with a Caswell kit and it turned out great. Like paint, the results depend on the prep work.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration