New fuel line

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: New fuel line
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jonathan Delancey on Sunday, April 22, 2018 - 08:36 pm:

I need to run a new fuel line in the 1919 roadster. I bought the line from Langs. Is there a simple diagram that shows the bends? I plan on running it behind the wood block on the rail. Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Sunday, April 22, 2018 - 10:09 pm:

Here you go, used this and laid out the lines on my work bench in marker, and bent the line to the graphic. Fit was fine!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jonathan Delancey on Monday, April 23, 2018 - 01:06 am:

Did you bend by hand or tool?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Monday, April 23, 2018 - 08:30 am:

Jonathan

Just hand bend, with slow gentle curving, take your time. Bought a length of 1/4" steel brake line at swap meet, large coil wrap was easy to straighten.

Placed the straight part against the side of my bench and bent the curve along the marked line, laid out from the sketch.

Was rather simple to do. Left the overall length a bit longer than the 41" mentioned, and with tubing cutter made the final length at the carb fitting.

You want both ends of the line to recess up into the fittings at the sediment bulb and carb elbow. That way there is some 'spring' to the line fitting into the carb, as you have to slightly push pull bend the line into the carb elbow for a nice snug fit.

IMO the old felt gasket at the nuts isn't best, I use a cut length of modern neoprene fuel line, like a grommet over the line into the nut. That compresses well and no seeping, with good cushion to the steel line to prevent metal fatigue. Lots of shaking and vibrations going on with a running T :-)

(Message edited by Dan_Treace on April 23, 2018)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Monday, April 23, 2018 - 09:15 am:

Last week I invested $1.62 in a foot of fuel hose. After making the first dozen gaskets I still have more than half of it left to cut. A lifetime supply, if I remember where it is. :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration