BRASSWORKS KIT RADIATOR??

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: BRASSWORKS KIT RADIATOR??
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Monday, April 23, 2018 - 08:53 pm:

Has anyone purchased a brass kit radiator from the Brassworks? If so how did the assembly go?

thnx

brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harry Lillo on Monday, April 23, 2018 - 09:06 pm:

About 20 years ago I got new brass radiator sides, front and top tank pieces as well as the the bottom brass trim piece from Brassworks. The parts fit well and the radiator has been in service on my '13 speedster since that time.
A local shop re-cored the radiator and put it all together for me. Not a complete kit but likely half the components.
Harry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Reid on Monday, April 23, 2018 - 09:07 pm:

Purchased one thru Lang’s on 2/22 and received it dropped shipped from Brass Works about 4/5 so about five weeks from when I ordered it.. Looks beautiful and can’t wait to get it on the car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Monday, April 23, 2018 - 11:53 pm:

I bought a Livingston V kit from them. In my case I wanted to nickle plate it, so it made perfect sense. Everything fit together just fine

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, April 24, 2018 - 12:10 am:

I don't see anything in Lang's 2017 catalogue about a kit. It that something new?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By brass car guy on Tuesday, April 24, 2018 - 12:19 am:

Hi Les,

I sent you a pm.

thnx
brasscarguy

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Tuesday, April 24, 2018 - 01:00 pm:

Steve, I believe that topic came up in the "brassworks discussion" thread. I read it as what IF they began offering kits (current owner) but it seems that they have for at least 2 months now according to Joe Reid

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Davis. Tomball Texas on Tuesday, April 24, 2018 - 01:26 pm:

What warranty coverage if any on kit parts.Damage in assemble excluded. I asked Mr Lee of bw that question,in brassworks discussions, he never responded, Sounds like it could be a good deal. but if You have a problem You may well be on Your own ? See "brassworks discussion"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Reid on Tuesday, April 24, 2018 - 02:30 pm:

Sorry, I missed the kit part of the message. I was just talking about lead time from Brass works.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Tuesday, April 24, 2018 - 08:38 pm:

I probably bought my “kit” about 10 years ago. I had approached them about a nickle plated radiator and they declined that. When I asked about buying a kit so I could achieve my goals, they agreed. I had done two previous nickle plated radiators for a 1912 and 1913 Russell cars using cellular cores from New Zealand. So I was happy to get their help at all. I was not particularly concerned if I might have to do some “fettling” to make the parts fit. It turned out that it all fit just fine.
Understand that making a nickle plated radiator, you get the plating done about 1/2 way through the assembly process. So you check everything very carefully prior to the plating.
I was completely satisfied.
Still this would not be a project for the total novice. And once you start soldering I would not expect any warranty as to parts fit up.
I was grateful to them for providing the parts to me at ALL!!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Noonan - Norton, MA. on Wednesday, April 25, 2018 - 12:37 am:

I thought when the representative of Brassworks suggested this in the now "deleted" thread, he was being a bit facetious. Maybe someone here can investigate this for us, and make some calls.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RE Helgeson on Wednesday, April 25, 2018 - 08:25 am:

If you look on the Brassworks web page you will see the kit listed for a brass radiator. The description pretty well spells out what you are getting. What kind of warranty would be expected?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Schwab on Wednesday, April 25, 2018 - 01:18 pm:

Where did you find the kit on their web page? I couldn't find it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RE Helgeson on Wednesday, April 25, 2018 - 01:24 pm:

It is under the 1909 through 1916 radiator section. It is called something like a polishers kit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Schwab on Wednesday, April 25, 2018 - 01:41 pm:

Wow, only $76.00 difference from a completed radiator with a warrantee?? Because of all the things listed (in original post) that Brassworks would be saving on by offering a kit I thought it would be a few hundred dollars less!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Wednesday, April 25, 2018 - 02:16 pm:

Pretty normal cost practices. Ever listed up the individual parts for redoing a small gas engine lawn trimmer!

Easier to replace with a new unit.

Only Henry Ford priced his replacement parts at mfg cost, bet you could build a Ford from the parts list cheaper than a whole new T!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Davis. Tomball Texas on Wednesday, April 25, 2018 - 05:45 pm:

Lee with bw made a big deal out of all the savings bw would realize by selling kits, avoid a host of CA and Federal regulations, concerning workers and manufacturing along with EPA and others, it would save them a lot of Money. I asked Lee how bw could avoid regulations if the parts were still being made at their plant, just not assembled. He never answered the question! it was implied the buyer would see savings reflected in the kit price. Question would You assemble a radiator kit for $76.00 if You had a work shop, equipped with the necessary tools to build and test it ?

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration