Number 7 for the collection

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Number 7 for the collection
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Sims--Reed City,Mich. on Tuesday, April 24, 2018 - 02:18 pm:

Drove 600 miles round trip to get this. 27 coupe in fair condition. Last driven in 56 then stored in a dirty building and not well cared for. The roof was torn bad so lots of dirt inside and moisture No rust on the main body but the fenders have lots of surface rust and one front fender has a large hole where it meets the splash apron.27 side27 front27 engine

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Tuesday, April 24, 2018 - 02:25 pm:

Jim, I'd like to see that one at Standish in July :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Tuesday, April 24, 2018 - 02:45 pm:

It must be nice to have an "improved" Ford to compare with the others.
Enjoy it.
Rich

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Tuesday, April 24, 2018 - 04:27 pm:

Congrats Jim. Glad to see you got a "new" car. I will have to come see that one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Alan Long Western Australia on Tuesday, April 24, 2018 - 04:33 pm:

What a great find Jim!
Wonder why it has the wooden spoked wheels?
The Canadian models in Australia were all wire that Im aware of and much talk about the headlight cross bar as to when it was introduced here
Alan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Tuesday, April 24, 2018 - 04:37 pm:

Engine looks like '27 but yeah,....wood wheels? And how 'bout that small drum rear end? Maybe it's a '27 or,....maybe not??? Sure a nice solid car tho' so who cares, right?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Tuesday, April 24, 2018 - 04:41 pm:

.....yeah, I guess it must be a "new improved" coupe after looking at the fenders. Strange about the wood wheels and rear end though......especially if the car just sat in storage since the '50's,....???

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Sims--Reed City,Mich. on Tuesday, April 24, 2018 - 05:01 pm:

It has large rear drums. This is a November 26 build with matching engine and frame numbers and matching 1927 title. I also wondered about the wood wheels. Discovered it originally maroon. Vaporizer carb will be a challenge as I have never worked on one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Tuesday, April 24, 2018 - 05:16 pm:

I like the Vaporizer on ours, and I had one on a Tudor as well. They run great!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mike Walker, NW AR on Tuesday, April 24, 2018 - 10:32 pm:

I have a car in my shop now which is an early '27, built in August of '26. It too has wood wheels. It also has the headlight crossbar and vaporizer carb.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C west central, MN on Wednesday, April 25, 2018 - 12:16 am:

Nice find!
I was going to write "the Vaporizer sure isn't a simple NH..." but they are pretty simple!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dewey, N. California on Wednesday, April 25, 2018 - 12:21 am:

My '26 Barn Fresh Tudor has 30x3-1/2 wood spoke wheels--although I'm the "second owner" the family had it for a long time and the previous owners are no longer available to ask--unless you're really good with a Ouija Board! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hap Tucker in Sumter SC on Wednesday, April 25, 2018 - 02:50 am:

Jim,

Looks like a great car!

For Jim and others, Note wire wheels were NOT standard on the USA closed cars at the beginning of the 1927 model year. They first became standard on the USA Fordor effective around the end of Oct 1926. And around January 3rd, 1927, they became standard on the Tudor Sedan. Around Feb 14, 1927 they became standard on the Coupe.

Why do I use the term "around" that date -- because we have documentation for the Chicago Branch Plant but not all the other assembly plnats. They may have all changed that same day (Oct 27, 1926) but it is more likely that some of the plants may have been earlier or later depending on their stock of wire wheels etc. And when they received the instructions.

Please see details below for dates and references from the Chicago Branch.

Ref: http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/1927.htm which says:

...approx. model year (August 2, 1926 to May 26, 1927.)

WHEELS: 21 demountable wheels were standard, wire wheels optional on all models. Late in the model year, black wire wheels became standard on closed cars.

OCT 27, 1926 Letter from the Chicago branch
.....FORDORS: Wire wheels standard equipment."

Oct 28, 1926 Letter from the Chicago branch
"FORDORS: Black wire wheels are now standard equipment at no extra cost. Should your customer desire colored wire wheels instead of black, we recommend an extra charge of $10.00 be made for the change-over."

OCT 29, 1926 Ford letter to all dealers
"Effective immediately black wire wheels are standard equipment on Fordor Sedans with no additional charge to the customer. However, should the customer desire colored wire wheels on the Fordor, we suggest an extra charge of $10.00 per car. This applies to the Fordor only."

DEC 31, 1926 Letter from the Chicago branch
"Effective January 3rd, 1927, the Tudor Sedan will be equipped with black wire wheels as standard equipment at no extra cost."

And from: http://www.mtfca.com/encyclo/doc27.htm

JAN 3, 1927 Letter from Ford to all dealers
"Effective January 3rd, the Tudor Sedan will be equipped with black wire wheels as standard equipment at no extra cost."

FEB 11, 1927 Ford letter to branches and dealers
"Commencing Monday fourteenth (sic) all Ford Coupes delivered or shipped should be equipped with black wire wheels at no charge in billing price to dealer and effective Monday February twenty-first black wheels of this type will be considered standard equipment at no extra cost to customer, same as Tudor and Fordor."

FEB 14, 1927 Letter to dealers from Fargo branch
"Effective Feb. 14 all Ford Coupes delivered or shipped to dealers will be equipped with black wire wheels at no change in price. Beginning Monday, Feb. 21, black wire wheels of this type will be considered standard AT NO EXTRA COST TO CUSTOMER, same as the Tudor and Fordor."

Again, great coupe!

Respectfully submitted,

Hap l9l5 cut off

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Norton on Wednesday, April 25, 2018 - 08:16 am:

Congratulations Jim! Is that the one we talked about at the meeting? You found room for it inside, so something must of got kicked out onto the cold weather! FYI ! My 27 Tudor has wooden wheels also! From the pics I think you need a left front fender, if so I might have an extra one!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Wednesday, April 25, 2018 - 09:33 am:

It's a beauty.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas landers on Wednesday, April 25, 2018 - 11:34 am:

Jim, are the splash apron the same as a roadster? I may have an extra.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Hatch on Wednesday, April 25, 2018 - 12:00 pm:

Jim: How about showing those engine pans. I have an NOS set that some people say were never made, but your car has a set too. The two hole pan for the vapor and the NH also. Thanks, Dan.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Sims--Reed City,Mich. on Wednesday, April 25, 2018 - 02:43 pm:

Dan here are the engine pans. Looks like the engine was never out of the car. Just ordered $300,oo for new parts. Mostly new wiring and exhaust. Now trying to get the secretary of state to accept a title from a 4 year old estate.engine pan1engine pan 2

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Vern (Vieux Carre) on Wednesday, April 25, 2018 - 03:09 pm:

black balloon
Beautiful car Jim. Our October 26, 1926 coupe, supposedly assembled at the New Orleans plant has wooden wheels.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed Baudoux Grayling Michigan on Wednesday, April 25, 2018 - 05:37 pm:

Wow, Jim. She's a beauty! When I look at the engine pictures, I can smell it all the way up here!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration