Bendix - Part 3

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Bendix - Part 3
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Grant J Barlow on Wednesday, April 25, 2018 - 02:00 pm:

So I figured how to put the head on w/o the key falling on the floor. I forgot the shaft spun, so I moved it so the keyway was up. Duh!

Anyway, it's together, with one task left to do.

What's the secret for bending the washer tab up against the bolt? Or did I put it on upside down?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Bourgeois on Wednesday, April 25, 2018 - 02:39 pm:

Grant,
The washer is to keep the nut from backing off.
One tab goes down into the spring. Then I use a big pair of pliers to bring the tab up to the bolt. It is tempting to use a screw drive and small hammer, but know my self I would end up bending the shaft.

Make sure the tab is on the flat side of the bolt and the bolt will not back out. You should be good to go.

The next fun is putting the bendix cover back on.

Now for that one.
Put a shop rag around the bendix.
Start the screw that is between the bendix and the hogs head. It is a little tough to get to.
The last thing you want to do is to drop/knock that screw into the hogs head.
Once the screw is started, remove the rag.
Put on the cover and snug the screw in. That should hold it to allow you to put the other three in.
Get the cover good and centered.
If not the bendix can crack the cover, then the mess will begin.

Hope all this made sense.
Don't ask me how I learned about the rag. It just needs to plug the hole to keep anything from falling into it.

Good luck and have fun.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, April 25, 2018 - 03:59 pm:

Picture of how the lower tab on the washers go:

The upper tab gets bent up against one of the flats of the retaining bolt. You will need pliers to get enough squeezing force to bend the upper tab fully up so that it does some good.

If the tab is lined up with a point of the bolt head, loosen the bolt just enough so that the tab lines up with a flat. :-)

pic

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, April 27, 2018 - 11:14 am:

The modern keepers are hard as the dickens. Suggest giving the tab that is bent up a little start before you install. My op and observations is; some of the new replacements are harder and maybe a little thicker then the originals. Makes them hard to bend up and get tight to the bolt, but make sure you do. I was told to bring the bolt down snug then back off to the first flat. The spring needs a little wiggle.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration