OT-Counterfeit Cash??

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: OT-Counterfeit Cash??
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By R. S. Cruickshank on Wednesday, April 25, 2018 - 05:17 pm:

I can't believe this is still on the forum!! Why can't this be removed and the user name/password should be eliminated. Isn't there a way to control this from getting on the system?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dufault on Wednesday, April 25, 2018 - 05:58 pm:

R.S.

It is a "whack-a-mole" game. Sure, the admin people can block a user name/password, and as soon as the miscreant realizes he/she has been banned, the evil-doer creates a new entity.

Best to ignore all the offending posts and they will eventually sink to the bottom of the pile and be "lost" in the dust.

There seems to have been evil in the mind since the dawn of creation....even animals eat to survive.

(Message edited by adave on April 25, 2018)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Wednesday, April 25, 2018 - 09:27 pm:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Wednesday, April 25, 2018 - 10:45 pm:

If their counterfeit currency is 100% undetectable as advertised, there would be no need for them to sell it since they would only have to print it for their own use (har, har).

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Wednesday, April 25, 2018 - 11:33 pm:

Well,Shssshhh don't screw up a good thing dude! ,I got's me 100 grand comin'.
Agent is supposed to be here at 3 pm friday. I am gonna buy property in Idaho and then sell beach front lots till it is gone,.Then takes that money and flip houses for a while! :-)
I should be a millionaire in about 3 months!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Wednesday, April 25, 2018 - 11:37 pm:

Then I will git me 1 of these! Or maby a Tucker!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Thursday, April 26, 2018 - 12:11 am:

Now, I DO have a genuine three dollar bill. Before the Civil War, other than a few experimental issues (ever see a ten cent note?), the United States Federal Government did NOT print paper money. There were rules, and laws, in place to limit and control the practice. However, paper money was issued by banks and other financial institutions (hence, "banknotes"). All issued banknotes had to be backed, and theoretically guaranteed, by the issuing bank. In spite of that, banks did fail, and their notes would become worthless. Also, counterfeiting was common in spite of efforts to make banknotes difficult to duplicate or make fraudulently. Early in the Civil War, those problems, plus the combination of bank failures due to the war, and many banks taking side with the seceding states, the Federal Government issued new proclamations making the issuance of paper money solely the Federal Governments right and business. Banks could no longer issue negotiable paper money. It of course took a few years to get most of what was in circulation out and replace it with the new government issued cash.
The three dollar bill I have was issued (if I recall correctly, I haven't looked at it in decades) in the 1830s by an East coast bank. I think it was in either New York or Boston. I also have a five dollar bill from the same era.
Many of those notes traveled all over the country, and even the world, remaining in circulation (or somebody's Mason jar) until the banks started pulling them out during the Civil War.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry & Sharon Miller, Westminster, CO on Thursday, April 26, 2018 - 08:06 am:

There IS a way to stop the spam on this forum.

Have every new member's first posts inspected by the Admin people. Spammers will not spend the time to make relevant posts before posting their spam. Thus, Admin can eliminate the spam BEFORE it gets posted. This is practiced on many forums, why not here?

All we have to do is get Admin to set it up and preview.

Good Luck,
Terry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Thursday, April 26, 2018 - 09:07 am:

I'm a 100% certain that the Federal powers to be looked into this a long time ago. Not much escapes the watchful eye of Uncle Sam

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Thursday, April 26, 2018 - 12:17 pm:

I'm sure that would work. However, I wouldn't do what these guys do for what they get paid:-). And I SURE wouldn't take on yet ANOTHER role.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Brancaccio - Calgary Alberta on Thursday, April 26, 2018 - 05:46 pm:

I tried setting up the system once before to require admin approval before use but there is just to much activity to monitor.

There are 20 to 30 new users a day sometimes, hard to believe maybe but our forum is very very busy.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/822076/860698.html?1524759432

See URL above

822076 is the first thread this year

860698 is this thread

1524759432 is each item posted (I believe)

Here is is with commas

One & a half BILLION (use Austin Powers voice) items since inception.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Rogers - South of the Adirondacks NY on Thursday, April 26, 2018 - 06:47 pm:

For something that is so disliked they sure do get a lot of attention from you guys...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Thursday, April 26, 2018 - 07:37 pm:

Whew,glad the agent got here before Chris deleted my contact info!That agent was a mean looking guy Didn't talk much and had a big knife.Boss not let him tote gun he said.He checked my money I paid him with a couple times.Didn't seem to trust me.
But that 100 grand is going to spend good! :-)
Gota call that real-estate guy in Idaho in the morning. Beach front property now available because of a rare crevice in the earths sub crust has allowed waters from the coast of Zambia to filter thru the earth and surface along a ancient river bed.Occasionally we are having to fly a Zambian back home as the whirlpool is difficult to escape from down there.

Sand,um,I gota get sand! Oversights, they really work on the profits of a money making scheme!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, April 27, 2018 - 01:19 am:

Mack, You truly are RICH! In most ways that really count.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, April 27, 2018 - 01:23 am:

And Chris B, You do so much for us here. Thank you.
I know dancing on the picket fence top is not an easy thing to do. And I hate to tell you this, but you do it so well!
Again, Thank You!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dufault on Friday, April 27, 2018 - 08:42 am:

Too much water, and a person drowns.

Not enough water, and a person dies.

This Forum is so easy to use...so "user friendly" in so many ways...(all right, disregarding the picture thing...but really, send yourself a picture, capture it and it posts easily)...but in so many ways this is a most agreeable Forum, with a posted question answered quite rapidly...AND no need to Hunt through a dozen (or more) sub sections to find the answer.

OK - with the roses there are sometimes a few thorns...just be careful and all works out well!

Truly - a great Forum - and a supercalifragilisticexpialidocious
Administrator.

Enjoy Life...it's sometimes too short !

(and those three dollar bills are no good anymore!)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Friday, April 27, 2018 - 09:42 am:

Wayne,some folks say I am "rich" because I am full of bull eh stuff. :-)

sometimes you just have to laugh and enjoy what life dishes out.

Keep getting a busy signal from the realestate guy.:-( This plan is already getting wishywashy.
Why are my fingers green this morning?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, April 27, 2018 - 05:13 pm:

David D, I don't think my three dollar bill is worth much. Its condition is very poor (it was well circulated and about 130 years old when I bought it from a coin dealer). And to the dealer, I paid very little for it. I have seen others, and other paper money from that era in much better condition for sale by collectors for also not a lot of money (most early paper money is more of a curiosity than a collectible). However, I have cherished it for most of my life, as a piece of history, and as an oddity. I enjoy telling people about it, and the history of paper money behind it. To me, it is an opportunity to try to light a spark of interest in other people about the history that brought us to where we are today.
Another silly thing I often do (for a similar reason), when giving or getting change. I enunciate the word "dime" as "dise me". Now, that IS a mispronunciation. But it is a matter of history. Way back, when the US of A was a new nation. When the USA was getting going with its coinage production, they adopted words and policies from other nations. The word "dime" came from France (if I recall correctly), and was spelled d-i-s-m-e (disme). But both the "s" and the "e" were silent. So, very early in the 1800s, the USA dropped the silent "s" from disme and it became the "dime" we still use today.
I began collecting coins when I was about ten years old because my parents wouldn't let me get an antique automobile then (I was a strange kid!). That history was in several of the coin collecting books I had back in those days.
And why do I like model T Fords so much? Again, because of all the history they connect to us. Knowing our history can help us to make the right decisions in the future because nearly every bad decision we can make in the future has been made in the past.
Spanish philosopher Jorge Agustín Nicolás Ruiz de Santayana y Borrás, known in English as George Santayana, said it best. "Those who cannot remember the past are condemned to repeat it", also sometimes quoted as "Those who do not learn from the past, are condemned to repeat the worst parts of it".

Hey Mack! Don't be gettin' those greenbacks wet, now!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Dufault on Friday, April 27, 2018 - 06:18 pm:

So - for some people the three dollar bill is priceless. Well said, Wayne. Lots of history in some of the older "coin of the realm".

A friend used to carry around some $2.00 USA bills and occasionally use one in payment for the article being purchased. Frequently a "higher up" was called upon to verify that yes, indeed, the $2.00 paper bill of the USA is still valid.

The world is changing...folks can't find their way without GPS, cashiers can't make change without the register/calculator/computer.

What a ride thru life we're having these days!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C west central, MN on Friday, April 27, 2018 - 08:42 pm:

Just yesterday, the change I got (again) from the hardware store was in two dollar bills! Al knows that I think they're cool.
2013 print and fresh as Daisy's. He said the ink was dry that morning! :-) I can't spend them, I should give 'em to the grand kids.
Oops, I gotta go back to his store, I need a couple more!
And I bought a Peterson 5WR Vise Grip for 10 bucks! It's shot but I like Peterson's Vice Grips. IF he returned it for warranty, it'd be thrown away. I'll fix and use it.
Wayne too many interesting things in your post! Funny, my dad wouldn't sponsor a TT or a late A pickup when I was young either.
Rough not to have them but I'm better for it. I appreciate things I have more.
Chris, Thank you in more ways than one! The explanation of the "numbers" is somewhat flabbergasting.
Thank heavens for this MTFCA forum.
:-)
Post number 1,524,762,244 or so!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Friday, April 27, 2018 - 09:24 pm:

Duey,

My wife and I travel 2 or 3 times a year, maybe a cruise, a trip to the coast, etc. Every year I order $100 in $2 bills from my bank to take along on the trips for tips. The reactions to them are amazing. We've made friends and had fun we never would have had but for the $2 bills.

Since we would have spent the same amount anyway it's actually free fun. You should try it. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, April 27, 2018 - 10:37 pm:

Right now I have four of these in my pocket:

I use them all the time for tips and small purchases. I always have some halves and dollar coins on me too. I enjoy watching the panic and confusion that often results when I spend them. I was buying a movie ticket with twos and the kid behind the counter had to stop and ask his boss if he was allowed to take them.
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C west central, MN on Friday, April 27, 2018 - 10:59 pm:

Hahaha! Yous guys!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Friday, April 27, 2018 - 11:11 pm:

"In Jelf We Trust "

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Schrope - Upland, IN on Saturday, April 28, 2018 - 09:18 am:

If you were in Hartford City, IN with $2 bills, they'd know you had been scrappin' at Goldberg's scrap yard. They also give out 50 cent pieces.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Saturday, April 28, 2018 - 09:26 am:

:-( So sad this morning, apparently there was a shift in the tectonic plates Thursday night about 1 am.According to my real estate agent in Idaho the water has cut off!
His theory was the "Tired Mountain Syndrome" that NKorea has experienced recently has caused the tectonic plates to shift,cutting off the water.So now,I don't have any beach front property to sell in Idaho. So looks like I will have to be a tater farmer.
Hum,sell stock in a tater farm? Perhaps that would work? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Saturday, April 28, 2018 - 09:37 am:

I read years ago about an army post where there was a fair amount of friction between the people of the nearby town and the soldiers at the post. That was back when GIs were paid cash on payday, and the post commander told his paymaster one month to pay everyone on the post with $2 bills. First the merchants began to see a lot of $2 bills in their cash registers and then the townspeople began getting them in change. Relationships between the military and the townspeople improved and the commander had made his point.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By kep on Sunday, April 29, 2018 - 03:17 am:

So what you're saying is $2 bills make people less angry somehow? How does that work?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Sunday, April 29, 2018 - 04:46 am:

Kep, the townspeople realized just how much money the GI's were actually spending in their town! :-) Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Lodge - St Louis MO on Sunday, April 29, 2018 - 09:40 am:

Exactly, David.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Sunday, April 29, 2018 - 10:18 am:

Exactly right!! Short of marking "normal" bills to identify them which is illegal I believe, Towns folk got a message real quick.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Sunday, April 29, 2018 - 08:04 pm:

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration