Blasting brass?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Blasting brass?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, April 26, 2018 - 12:54 pm:

A Google search of blasting media finds different things recommended for brass/bronze. In your experience what medium works best to clean without marring the surface?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire (La Florida!) on Thursday, April 26, 2018 - 01:30 pm:

Soda Blaster works best IMHO

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Thursday, April 26, 2018 - 08:08 pm:

I use glass beads.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dale Peterson College Place, WA on Friday, April 27, 2018 - 12:58 am:

Or walnut shells?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Friday, April 27, 2018 - 03:58 am:

When I had Oxy-Acet torch parts rebuilt, they used glass beads. Leaves a nice smooth finish that could be polished fairly easily if needed. Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Friday, April 27, 2018 - 07:16 am:

glass beads and start with lowest air pressure needed to remove whatever you are trying to remove. If you have a cabinet that you normally use something more abrasive in like sand or aluminum oxide be very very careful to get all of the heavy media out of there before you switch to glass beads. I have a separate cabinet that only beads are used in. It is a small bench top unit made from heavy plastic and works just fine for those "fine" jobs.

Good luck with your project.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter McIntyre on Friday, April 27, 2018 - 08:51 am:

blue

Steve what are you trying to clean?
Having 4 brass cars I have had clean/restored some brass and have found this Loctite 82251 will remove decades of patina and leave a bright brass ready for buffing.cheers pete

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, April 27, 2018 - 09:01 am:

The immediate project is a couple of bronze carburetors, but there will be other occasional brass/bronze items to clean.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter McIntyre on Friday, April 27, 2018 - 09:07 am:

Steve you will be amazed how this stuff works,gets into all the nooks and cranies.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Friday, April 27, 2018 - 10:06 am:

I was also told, but not tried yet, to soak in vinegar.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Wetherbee - Downeast Maine on Friday, April 27, 2018 - 07:11 pm:

I tried vinegar once, donít leave it in too long as it seems to eat the tin out of brass leaving a reddish copper color that needed to be buffed out.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration