OT for now - TxDMV

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: OT for now - TxDMV
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Friday, April 27, 2018 - 10:55 am:

A little while back I mentioned that the Texas DMV had changed a law without warning and began revoking the titles of dune buggies, sand rails, and some kit cars. The implication at the time was that once that job was complete they would move on to other hobby cars and as of the other day they stated that was in fact their intent. Ultimately the goal is to remove all vehicles not conforming to the safety standards of a brand new car.

I donít presently have a horse in this race and most of you wonít either, but I recommend at least reading up on it because itís a lot harder to stop a regulatory change than it is to reverse it. Certainly worth discussing at your next club meeting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Friday, April 27, 2018 - 11:12 am:

. . . government of the bureaus, by the bureaus and for the bureaus shall not perish from the earth . . .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Treace, North FL on Friday, April 27, 2018 - 01:10 pm:

That was posted about last year too, just looked at the Facebook page of the Texas Dune buggy guys formed from the DMV action. One posted today that he got his re-registration for his, living in a coastal community. Perhaps they are OK with dune/sand buggies if you actually use them on the sand.

Original rational was licensed off-road vehicles (Dune buggies) were being driven on public roads without lights, brake lamps, turn signals and other safety required items for highway usage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Friday, April 27, 2018 - 03:16 pm:

From the Facebook group:

"As most of you know we had our 2nd "Working Group Meeting" yesterday, April 21st, 2018. At just half a day, it was the shortest meeting we have attended. Unfortunately, the meeting did NOT go as we all had hoped. We put a significant amount of faith into the TxDMV wanting to correct the mistakes, and start to move forward in a positive direction. It just does not seem they want to play ball with us for some reason, and they blame their inaction on Federal Laws & Regulations.

Before the question is asked AGAIN.... We asked why the rules changed when so many Dune Buggy, Sandrail, & Kitcar Owners had their vehicle legally Title/Registered, by following all the procedures promulgated by the TxDMV regarding proper inspection and registration. The only answer we received, was that the rule had changed because the TxDMV felt that Dune Buggies, Sandrails, & Kitcars were NOT compliant with Federal Safety Regulations.

We also asked why a Dune Buggy was not Compliant with Federal Safety Standards when we shorten the length of the chassis. While other Automotive Hobbyists C notch a chassis in order to go over an axle, getting the car lower to the ground with Air Ride Suspension. We were told that those cars were in fact illegal as well. When we said that there are 100s if not 1000s of them on Texas Roads. The TxDMV asked for the names of those people so that they could send them Letters revoking their Title/Registration. We are not going to drop anyone in the grease, so we said no. But this just tells us, that this we are just the beginning of their plans when it comes to modified vehicles.

I will be honest when I say that things did get a little heated during the meeting, resulting in a Kitcar Builder storming out in disgust. Disgust in that, it seems we are not making any headway with the TxDMV. In the end the TxDMV agreed that they would do more research into the way that Pennsylvania gets Assembled Vehicles Title/Registered. (Strange because we tried to get them to look at that months ago, but they dismissed the idea because they felt it didn't "comply with Federal Safety Standards".) We agreed that we would do go through the Pennsylvania paperwork and make it work for Texas.

This brings me to the next step that WE need to make as a group. We are going to stop playing nice! First things first, I'm going to ask that everyone hold their horses before people try to get the Press involved! We have GOT to have a UNIFIED Story, or else we will all look like a bunch of fools and will be quickly dismissed. Justin, Ron, & Myself are already working on a press release that we all want to share with ANYONE who will listen. Please give us a until Friday May 4th before you reach out to the media, again we need to have a UNIFIED STORY. Ron has already started telling his Legislative Contacts that the TxDMV is not willing to play ball, but he will not stop there. As he has already lined up the Activist Groups that he plans to contact ASAP. The first thing that we need to do as a group, is to BUILD the Awareness of our situation. Facebook is an extremely powerful tool that we need to utilize more. As of the time I am writing this we have 1,518 members, we need to see that number grow by leaps and bounds. In fact, I'd like to see the group be at 2000 by Monday, and 3,000 by the time we post the Press Release on May 4th. Not only do we need to hit every Dune Buggy, Sandrail, Kitcar Group, we need to hit the Hot Rods, Street Rods, Street Trucks, Lowriders, etc etc etc

Again PLEASE do not contact the media just yet, we REALLY NEED TO HAVE A UNIFIED STORY!

Ohh and if you are a Member of the TxDMV, we did all we could to work with you. However, after todays meeting it no longer seems like you want to do more than humor us with the meetings. We will make sure your Email, Voicemail, & Snail Mail is as full as we can make it soon enough!"

Sounds to me like once the dune buggies are eradicated the speedsters won't be too far behind. Then there's the possibility of other states following suit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Friday, April 27, 2018 - 03:57 pm:

Yep,needs to be nipped in the bud asap or we will have static displayed paper weights.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mat Klemp on Friday, April 27, 2018 - 06:36 pm:

SEMA action network has good information on upcoming legislation such as Missouri introducing a bill to tax by the mile. Now is the time to speak up.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Davis. Tomball Texas on Saturday, April 28, 2018 - 01:47 am:

Texas has five year antique plate registrations that all expire at the same time regardless of date of issue, old plates expired March 2018, renewals wern't sent out until 2nd week of march and then paper plates were were issued through May until metal plates were recently mailed, makes You think something is going on, They dropped the horseless carriage outline with Antique on it and now just say antique car at the bottom of the plate, But now vehicles made in 1993 or before qualify for 25year old antique plates in Texas.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Saturday, April 28, 2018 - 09:16 am:

93 and before is before the OBD2 system so emissions can't be tested as easy any more.So maby their eventual goal is all pre 96 cars off the road? Sounds something like what would happen in the "shake me up" state instead of Texas.Would have never expected that mindset from Texas actually..

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration