Need Some Help with Exhaust Whistle Hookup

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Need Some Help with Exhaust Whistle Hookup
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Sunday, April 29, 2018 - 11:50 am:

Trying to connect an Airmore but can't seem to get it working right. Keeps getting stuck open and I suspect it's the way I have it hooked up from the cutout to the pedal.

Pics or diagram would be nice.

Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, April 29, 2018 - 11:54 am:

Is it missing a spring to pull the lever on the whistle closed when not in use?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter C. Strebeck on Sunday, April 29, 2018 - 12:18 pm:

Marty,
Not to hijack your thread, did you get the private message that I sent to you about some Gray parts?

And to keep it on track, I believe that this is the spring that Mark is referring to:

spring

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, April 29, 2018 - 12:43 pm:

There really isn't too much to hooking them up. You have a valve, a cable that runs to the pedal (if there are obstructions a pulley helps get around that) and the cutout pedal.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Sunday, April 29, 2018 - 06:31 pm:

I use a rod rather than a cable to hook up between the pedal and the whistle. Even if the whistle jams open, it can be released by pulling the pedal up. A return spring can also be added to the pedal if that helps.
This may not be so easy on wrong hand drive cars.

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary London, Camarillo, CA on Sunday, April 29, 2018 - 10:13 pm:

I use the same Lucas valve. Some of the springs are heavier than others. If you add an additional spring to help pull it closed, mounted to a point a little bit towards the rear, it will take care of the problem. These valves are better than the original as you don't have to cut through the entire exhaust pipe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Layden Butler on Sunday, April 29, 2018 - 11:50 pm:

Not all whistle valves are (were) created equal. Some from the era do require the tube to be cut completely thru and others do not.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration