Maybe to much weight?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Maybe to much weight?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Copeland - West Melbourne Florida on Sunday, April 29, 2018 - 01:03 pm:

The wife and I went to breakfast with the Model T. On are way out of the restaurant there was this very big man looking at my T. He ask if he could get a photo and of course I said okay. I asked him if he would like a photo of him inside the car and if he felt he could get in and out of the car safely and said no problem. So guy must have tipped the scales about 325. When got he on the running board the whole car just about came over. We got the photos and said good bye. I started the T and it ran for about 30 seconds and quit. It acted like it was out of gas. I had lots of gas so I tapped the carburetor and she took off running with no problem. I can only assume that when the big guy got in the car it made the float in carburetor tilt just a little .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Sunday, April 29, 2018 - 01:34 pm:

Meet "Tony the Pony". He weighs 350. I wouldn't invite him to get into the front seat of any Model T. In most cases, during the golden age of the Model T, a driver and passenger together wouldn't have weighed as much as your admirer does.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Coiro on Sunday, April 29, 2018 - 03:00 pm:

Nah, that doesn't sound right to me. -Model T's are the go anywhere/do anything cars that Henry originally intended to deal with dirt roads, bad roads and no roads. -Their 3-point engine mounting and flexible chassis were designed to twist better than Chubby Checker and eat inhospitable terrain for lunch (albeit slowly). -It should take way more than tilting the car 15-degrees to stop the engine, let alone cause persistent stalling after the fact.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Fred Dimock, Newfields NH, USA on Sunday, April 29, 2018 - 03:32 pm:

Will
Stop the micro aggression!
The guy was gravitonally challenged not a very big man.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Sunday, April 29, 2018 - 03:39 pm:

The way the carburetor is built, if the float moved, it would actually add more fuel rather than stick shut. Assuming he got on the right hand running board, he would tilt the car to the right causing the float to drop. Now, maybe the way the tab on the float is bent it could have stuck binding the valve, but very unlikely to have stuck shut. Something else must have caused the problem.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Adam Doleshal on Sunday, April 29, 2018 - 09:18 pm:

Several years ago, two relatives of a friend of mine climbed in the back of my Ď24 touring and then asked for a ride. Easily almost 800 pounds total! I drove out of the back yard thru a ditch, drove a couple miles, returned, and discharged my passengers. My friend approached me, was embarrassed, & volunteered to pay for any damage. I told him there was nothing to worry about and no damage. Biggest problem would have been bent or broken springs and it would have been visually apparent.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Monday, April 30, 2018 - 12:10 am:

Cars will sputter, quit, act up , miss and do other things without having had too big of a load or because of some similar thing happening.
What if the guy had never come along and stopped to look at the car? You think nothing would ever happen to the car again?
Yesterday as I was backing my old Nash out of the carport it died and refused to start.
It never did that until a friend of mine stood there and watched me backing out.
I canít blame him for the car quiting and not restarting but it never did that before.
It was a corroded connection on the primary coil wire.
The model T has certainly taken shocks and jerks far worse than that big guy climbing in the car.
And you know the car has gone around corners and driven on side hills that caused far more stress to the carb float.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Monday, April 30, 2018 - 07:33 am:

Heck, I weight dang near that. I drive a T all the time with no ill effects.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Loftfield on Monday, April 30, 2018 - 08:02 am:

When the car listed over to starboard a small piece of gunk, crud, stuff, or something else beginning with "s" shifted and blocked either the outlet under the tank, or the float valve. Same thing happens when I mow my lawn with my 1958 Power King tractor if I get it listing too far to one side on a hill, have to stop and clean the gas line. May be time to check the inside of the gas tank, or just never let a land whale into the car again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Denny Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Monday, April 30, 2018 - 08:18 am:

Here is a Model T at an event where they do flex runs.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Thursday, May 03, 2018 - 08:42 am:

Great picture Denny. When did you grow the beard?

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration