T engine test bench design wanted

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: T engine test bench design wanted
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Sunday, April 29, 2018 - 11:03 pm:

I have 6 different T engines that I hope to finish within the coming year and I am thinking about building a test bench.
I want to be able to do the final detail assembly and do a run test to check for oil and water leaks.
Most of these engines are quite non-stock , so the potential for some problems is there!!
I m looking for suggestions
Thank you

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Sunday, April 29, 2018 - 11:52 pm:

This is what I built up Les - it has accommodations for both stock coils ignition & distributor and I've run overheads in it also !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Monday, April 30, 2018 - 09:34 am:

Steve
Looks VERY nice

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Monday, April 30, 2018 - 12:42 pm:

Thanks - mostly made from buggered T frames !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthonie Boer --- Klaaswaal NL on Monday, April 30, 2018 - 01:30 pm:

Les ; I use this as a Test bench.
Toon.
379S
389S
390S

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Monday, April 30, 2018 - 01:39 pm:

Sides are 2X10's and it has wheels

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Monday, April 30, 2018 - 01:45 pm:

Because it's wood you can attach anything U want, like a lawnmower gas tank on an upright, a radiator, ignition etc.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Monday, April 30, 2018 - 02:40 pm:

Steve - Couldn't help but notice that the brass radiator on your test stand is polished up better that the brass radiator on your '14 Touring! ( :^) (:^)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Monday, April 30, 2018 - 05:09 pm:

That's because it's not mine !!!

Not much into "shiney" !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Monday, April 30, 2018 - 05:27 pm:

Yeah,.....that's why I made the comment! I remember how close the seller came to losing the whole sale when you bought that beautiful '14 Touring! As I recall, sometime between the "buyer/seller handshake" and when you went back to pick the car up, the guy had polished the radiator on that '14 Touring which (unknown to the seller) was very much against the "Steve's T Works" patina policy!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Monday, April 30, 2018 - 08:26 pm:

The '14 had been parked & covered for nearly 40 years when I discovered it - the "patina" was fabulous UNTIL the owner decided to polish the JNO. Brown headlamp rims & bonnets the winter prior to us purchasing it - just wrecked it for me ! But, we still purchased the T from the family after the owner passed away - I just tell everyone to "go ahead & touch the head lamps" !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bill Harper - Keene, NH on Monday, April 30, 2018 - 09:46 pm:

Hi Steve,

Your story, prompted by Harold, of "almost" not buying your '14 reminds me of the first look at the '14 I did acquire.

The car had been "restored" in the early 90s and driven for an unrecorded number of years and then it sat for unknown reasons and unknown years. It was purchased by the fellow I got it from although he only drove once or never.

It was sitting in a barn for several years when I went to look at it. My inspection was proceeding reasonably well despite the poorly installed top and the not much better interior. All three doors shut like the door on a bank vault: tight.

But the headlamps had been electrified. ELECTRIFIED! The horror! I almost walked away.

But I did buy it. It turned out that the burners and mirrors had been replaced with a period kit, likely by the original owner. It is an interesting and useful accessory.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Monday, April 30, 2018 - 10:12 pm:

Anthonie and Hal
Thank you for the postings.
I have received some interesting ideas

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Given - St. Paul, MN on Tuesday, May 01, 2018 - 06:04 pm:

I have one that is simular to Hal's, but not as nice. It started its life as an appliance dolly.

I have a pvc adaptor to garden hose connection for the water inlet. AnD a pvc overflow to the ground for the outlet.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Plank in Three Way, TN on Wednesday, May 02, 2018 - 06:24 pm:

This is my test stand.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Les Schubert on Wednesday, May 02, 2018 - 06:59 pm:

Jason I was thinking about doing the water a similar way
Being tall I think I want to make it so Im not stooping over all the time.
I like the caster ideas too

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Haynes - Chadron, Nebraska on Sunday, May 06, 2018 - 09:45 pm:

I use an electric motor and gear reduction to start motors with out starters. Saves a lot of cranking!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration