Ford tank id

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Ford tank id
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim williams Baldwinsville NY. on Monday, April 30, 2018 - 09:41 am:

I bought this tank it was in a early 20s generator truck
Is it fords on tractor tank ?
Would appreciate any help I think it would make a good speedster tank with a little modification
Thanks jimFord tank

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By G.R.Cheshire (La Florida!) on Monday, April 30, 2018 - 09:45 am:

I think that is the kerosene tank from a Fordson tractor. Probably worth more in that area

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Monday, April 30, 2018 - 10:32 am:

A 1918 or 1919 Fordson tractor main fuel (Kerosene) tank.
This was used in conjunction with a small, cast iron gasoline starting tank mounted under the right side of the main tank.

In 1920 the end stamping on the tank was changed to "Manufactured by Ford Motor Company, Detroit, Michigan (or Cork, Ireland)."

In 1923 the main tank got two filler caps as it was now divided into to two sections, incorporating the smaller gasoline tank, and the small cast iron tank was eliminated.

Good, early Fordson tanks are hard to find!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Monday, April 30, 2018 - 10:51 am:

Oh, that filler neck extension has been added.
Originally, the cap was flush to the tank, same method as a Ts tank.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Richard Eagle Idaho Falls on Monday, April 30, 2018 - 01:49 pm:

Some more info:

http://www.fordsontractorpages.nl/phpbb3/viewtopic.php?p=41328

http://ytmag.com/cgi-bin/viewit.cgi?bd=fordson&th=19410

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim williams Baldwinsville NY. on Monday, April 30, 2018 - 02:19 pm:

Thanks for all the info. I just now looked in with a flashlight
And it's very clean inside and someone just soldered the
Neck extension on over the orig. tank threads so all that has
To be done is sweat the neck off .
It has a nice shutoff so I think I'll leak test it with air and soapy
Water and sell it to a fordson owner that needs one.
Thanks again for the info.
Jim

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mark aden on Tuesday, May 01, 2018 - 12:26 pm:

Jim i have a 1918 fordson that sure could use that tank ,let me know if you would like to sell it, Thanks ,i sent a pm through this sight also

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Martin, Sydney Australia on Tuesday, May 01, 2018 - 10:06 pm:

Jim, If it is for sale, and Mark doesn't take it, I'm interested for my Fordson.

Peter

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Csorba (Australia) on Thursday, May 03, 2018 - 08:54 am:

Just for completeness, here is a picture of the petrol tank to go with that kero tank.
BTW the top thread is the same as a T tank filler and the bottom is the same as an NH inlet.
Bruce
Fordson petrol tank

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Thursday, May 03, 2018 - 02:05 pm:

Well thats a strange little tank- by U.S. standards.
Here's the version we got:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Csorba (Australia) on Thursday, May 03, 2018 - 04:32 pm:

Hi Dale,
It is supposed to have come from an early Fordson, perhaps a later one? (may have been a sales pitch?) I checked with Google and can't find a match for mine. Any guesses? I intend using it to run a T engine in a power unit.
Bruce

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By dale w on Thursday, May 03, 2018 - 08:21 pm:

Hi Bruce,
I've never seen one like that! It looks the right size for a tractor starter tank, even close to the types used on TVO burning Fergusons in the 1950's, but not exact.

Are you sure its not an oversized Soviet-era RDG-5 anti-personnel grenade?!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bruce Csorba (Australia) on Friday, May 04, 2018 - 07:13 am:

I hope not Dale, because the pin is gone.
I have a neighbour with a TEA20. I will see if he recognizes it.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration