Muffler packing????

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Muffler packing????
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Davis-Williams - Lake City, MI on Monday, April 30, 2018 - 07:40 pm:

Have any of you ever added fiberglass muffler packing to your mufflers? My muffler bounced apart when I hit a massive bump in the road (collapsed culvert). Before I put Humpty Dumpty back together again I pondered putting some exhaust packing in. My first thought was to take some motorcycle packing cut it in strips and put it in the last muffler shell. I'd prefer to keep the stock look and use the original style muffler.

I would also like to quiet her down so I can better hear my 3 year old in the backseat. :-)

I swear I saw a post about this, but I can't find it now.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Monday, April 30, 2018 - 08:51 pm:

the less stuff in the muffler the better. I wouldn't.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Humble Northern Michigan on Monday, April 30, 2018 - 09:00 pm:

I wouldnt. I would recommend welding the muffler ends to keep it from blowing apart again.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, April 30, 2018 - 09:14 pm:

I agree with Jeff and Hal. This kind of muffler wasn't designed to be packed. You would need to replace with a muffler which comes packed from the factory. I also tack weld both ends of the muffler.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By J. on Monday, April 30, 2018 - 11:04 pm:

I had a similar incident. Not sure if this helps or would make a difference in your case but I ended up having to take the muffler apart and trimming down the 2 inner tubes to make the outside pipe fit snug. No more leaks around the edges and as quiet as a model T is suppose to be.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Davis-Williams - Lake City, MI on Tuesday, May 01, 2018 - 07:59 pm:

Thanks everyone! I put her back together today and had a nice ride. I need to pick up some more flux core so I can tack weld it.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration