New bolts in wheel hubs

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: New bolts in wheel hubs
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Reid on Tuesday, May 01, 2018 - 01:10 am:

When putting a new or different hub on a wheel with new bolts do you need to peen or center punch the bolt so the nut cant unthread. All the wheels I take apart seem to have this type of setup.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Tuesday, May 01, 2018 - 01:48 am:

Yes.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stroud on Tuesday, May 01, 2018 - 04:09 am:

I pien them myself, but staking them with a punch works good too. That way, they can be tightened later if necessary later. Some use Loctite which is OK, as long it is the blue variety, it can be tightened without heat. DO NOT WELD them as has been suggested on here in the past, if you do, they can't be tightened later if needed. If you have to remove them later, just get new bolts and nuts, they are available from the vendors. Cheap insurance as far as I'm concerned. JMHO Dave

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Tuesday, May 01, 2018 - 08:59 am:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel Snell on Tuesday, May 01, 2018 - 09:44 am:

Does anyone know what Ford did originally. Did they take the time to peen them or?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem S.E. Michigan on Tuesday, May 01, 2018 - 10:33 am:

They peened them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Anthonie Boer --- Klaaswaal NL on Tuesday, May 01, 2018 - 11:10 am:

Why did't Ford peened or[cotterpin ] the four nuts of the demountable wheels ??????????
Toon

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Tuesday, May 01, 2018 - 11:22 am:

Just a guess, but the leverage might be why the de mountable wheels didn't need to be pined. The bolts at the center of the wheel hold the wood spokes in place and looseness in this location allows the wood to move against the hub and eventually will wear the wood down and the wheel will wobble.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eric Dunlap - Orlando, Florida on Tuesday, May 01, 2018 - 05:52 pm:

Yes, definitely peen them. See what happened to a center door I was working on for a friend at the link below. The nuts came off, the bolts worked their way out, and I had been driving it around the neighborhood before I realized what had happened. Got lucky and discovered the issue before it became a real problem.

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/822076/840678.html?1519526725

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Joe Reid on Tuesday, May 01, 2018 - 11:44 pm:

Thanks for the info.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration