Speedometer cable housing material

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Speedometer cable housing material
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Thursday, May 03, 2018 - 09:28 am:

I see photos of cars with both brass and steel speedometer cable, or chain link, housings. Were both brass and steel used or were they brass plated up to a certain year but the plating is long gone like is usually the case for spark and throttle levers? I've got a 4' Stewart housing that I was told came off of a 1913 with no evidence of any brass, but I've seen pictures of 13 and 14's with brass there. I know they were phasing out the brass by that time.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Thursday, May 03, 2018 - 10:35 am:

You are correct. A '13 has a steel cable. 48" will work too. Your best bet is Russ Furstnow's speedometer book.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Townsend ; ^ ) Gresham, Orygun on Thursday, May 03, 2018 - 11:05 am:

Corey-
I believe the housing was brass (not plated) into late 1911, maybe early 1912.
By 1913 they were steel.
: ^ )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Corey Walker, Brownsboro TX on Thursday, May 03, 2018 - 03:12 pm:

Ok, thanks. I've got the correct one.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration