Never seen this happen before

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Never seen this happen before
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Sims--Reed City,Mich. on Thursday, May 03, 2018 - 12:58 pm:

Went to try the starter on the 27 coupe I just bought. The bendix jammed. Took the cover off and removed the bendix and this is what I found. The end must not have been staked and unscrewed.bendix

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Thursday, May 03, 2018 - 01:21 pm:

I stake & use Red Loktite when replacing the balance gear.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Schedler, Sacramento on Thursday, May 03, 2018 - 01:45 pm:

Are you using a 12V battery?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James A. Golden on Thursday, May 03, 2018 - 02:21 pm:

An 8 Volt battery broke my starter Bendix.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Thursday, May 03, 2018 - 03:01 pm:

I'm not sure, but is that a Model "A" Bendix spring?

A Model T spring winds to the left of the mounting holes, but a Model A spring winds to the right, and it looks like this one winds to the right?

Comments on this?

Keith

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Thursday, May 03, 2018 - 05:53 pm:

Well spotted Keith. However, not likely to have been a contributor to the problem.

Allan f from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George n LakeOzark,Missourah on Thursday, May 03, 2018 - 06:02 pm:

I had that happen with straight 12 volts.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ron Patterson-Nicholasville, Kentucky on Thursday, May 03, 2018 - 06:14 pm:

A Model T and Model A Bendix drive spring are both wound in the same (Left) direction, but the Model A spring ID is larger than the Model T spring. It will fit, but it is not correct and will cause trouble using 12 volts on a stock Model T starter. .

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Sims--Reed City,Mich. on Thursday, May 03, 2018 - 07:26 pm:

My Model T's will only ever have 6 volt. If that is not enough I fix it so it is. Besides this I also found no lock tab washers on the two bolts of the bendix.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration