Trailers

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Trailers
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Reed on Thursday, May 03, 2018 - 07:26 pm:

Thinking of purchasing an 8.5. X 16 enclosed trailer with rear height door of 7 ft 3 inches. Any comments on towing with f150 4x4 with this added width! Hauling 1913 touring

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Thursday, May 03, 2018 - 07:47 pm:

No problem. I went to Minneapolis in my '97 F150 3 years ago to get my '13...handled it like a champ. Just went to the same area this year in my "new" '16 F150,for a '12 touring, same thing. Even with 40 mph winds on the way home on the beam...no problem. Just make sure you get one of those friction anti-sway bars for it. They're around $40 worth every penny.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Thursday, May 03, 2018 - 08:16 pm:

Larry,

I just took the initiative & custom designed two trailers with features to assist a couple guys looking to buy new enclosed car hauler trailers

A 30 foot with an 8 foot rear ramp door

A 20 foot with a 7 ft. 3 inch rear ramp door

Both with features I have found necessary after many years and many car hauls

One guy put a deposit & ordered his yesterday

No kickback or commission for me - just helping to turn the wheel

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Thursday, May 03, 2018 - 08:21 pm:

Regarding tow vehicle choice:

Engine - transmission - rear differential gear ratio - cooling equipment - suspension all determine your total towing capacity

Each vehicle is different

Determine the maximum tow capacity of your vehicle - deduct the weight of the vehicle you are hauling - what is left is the dry weight of the trailer you can pull

I never load beyond 80% of my trailer capacity

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Thomas Loftfield on Thursday, May 03, 2018 - 08:22 pm:

Get the 20 ft trailer. You can never have too much trailer. Wiggle room is very nice. I use my "extra" space for a good permanent tool chest with vise, spare parts, winch (you never know when the T will have trouble), folding chairs for that quiet after tour time, etc. The F-150 will handle it well IF you have the V-8 engine. However, I pull a 1912 touring with an F-250, just that much more secure and stable on the road due to the extra towing capacity.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Troy Todd on Friday, May 04, 2018 - 12:48 am:

I really doubt you will be happy with a 16ft. We had a 20ft for a while and when that one was wrecked went to a 24ft. You can't really haul any extras that short. At least with 20ft you can put some other cars in it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Friday, May 04, 2018 - 04:11 am:

The 20 foot enclosed trailer I designed was for this:

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Friday, May 04, 2018 - 04:44 am:

I just took delivery of a new trailer for the Model T and it can double nicely for snowmobiles as well. I ordered the 7.5' model. Leaves plenty of room for me to negotiate my girth around the car. Don't know if you have a V-front or not, but its the size of the "box" not necessarily the over-all length that really determines how much useful space you have inside to park your car. Mine is 18". Over-all length of trailer 22'. By the way, my tow vehicle is 2016 F150/ 3.5L ecoboost. Handles the job with ease.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Friday, May 04, 2018 - 04:44 am:

I just took delivery of a new trailer for the Model T and it can double nicely for snowmobiles as well. I ordered the 7.5' model. Leaves plenty of room for me to negotiate my girth around the car. Don't know if you have a V-front or not, but its the size of the "box" not necessarily the over-all length that really determines how much useful space you have inside to park your car. Mine is 18". Over-all length of trailer 22'. By the way, my tow vehicle is 2016 F150/ 3.5L ecoboost. Handles the job with ease.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan B on Friday, May 04, 2018 - 06:36 am:

I an surprised that you can get away without a weight distributing hitch with that setup. On my 2011 F150, the towing guide specifies that anything with a tongue weight over 500lbs requires it. I think they’re a good idea either way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By art ebeling on Friday, May 04, 2018 - 06:52 am:

FJ, Tell us more about the brands you prefer and features you would put on a 24 ft with an eight foot rear door ramp. I have been looking at some trailers but most if not all LOOK good but remind me of conversion vans and mobile homes of the seventies. Art

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Friday, May 04, 2018 - 08:02 am:

Art,

Done that already many times over the years.

Now I am offering my assistance to folks who are ready to buy a new trailer.

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Friday, May 04, 2018 - 09:07 am:

Dan B...you're correct about the weight dist. hitch. I failed to mention that in my post. I use that AND the friction sway control. I think having both those apparatus' definitely helped bringing home my '12 in 40 mph cross winds!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Troy Todd on Friday, May 04, 2018 - 11:25 am:

I use both the weight distribution hitch and friction anti-sway control. They make a big difference when passing semis on the highway in windy IL.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Friday, May 04, 2018 - 12:50 pm:

Our 8'6" x 18' haulmark is 20 years old and if i buy again it would be nice to know who will build custom features?Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Friday, May 04, 2018 - 01:02 pm:

I had a 24' trailer for almost 30 years and bought it with the idea of being able to take two cars. In 30 years I think I did that twice so the rest of the time I dragged a lot more trailer than I needed everywhere. I now have a 16' trailer which is plenty big enough for a T and the 8.5 width makes it easy to get around. I can even get my big 7 passenger Chalmers touring car in the trailer ( with the top flipped forward ). With a T in there you barely know you're pulling a trailer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kenneth W DeLong on Saturday, May 05, 2018 - 10:01 am:

If we ever get another it will be 8'6" X 20' and have a pair of 30" french doors ahead of the axels.The large side door option would let me load a pallet or two with a fork lift.Bud.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Saturday, May 05, 2018 - 11:03 am:

I have a 16 footer and couldn't be happier with it. Plenty of room for the T and a whole pile of junk. When we moved to Florida from Massachusetts I took the T as well as the stuff that the moving company wouldn't haul (gas cans, aerosol paint, oil based paint, booze, firearms, etc). I even put a spare set of T wheels and the spare to my truck in there. The only stuff that was in the T itself was a box of ammo and two American flags.
I would say that if you are even thinking of owning something significantly bigger then a T I would go for an 18 or 20 footer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harold Schwendeman - Sumner,WA on Saturday, May 05, 2018 - 05:34 pm:

Dan B. & Tim W. - Notice that Kevin Whelihan's trailer is a vee-nose model. I'm pretty sure that most sharp vee-nose trailers have a very short tongue which usually prohibits the use of the type of weight distribution hitch which has the long spring bars. The tongue has to be long enough for the brackets to which the trailing end of the spring bars attach to, to be located far enough back on the tongue frame rails for proper action of the spring bars, and sharp vee-nose trailers short tongues usually just won't allow the use of that type hitch. FWIW,.....harold

P.S. - Nice trailer Kevin!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Keith Gumbinger, Kenosha, WI on Saturday, May 05, 2018 - 06:14 pm:

Harold, I'm on my second enclosed car trailer with a V nose. Mine has a 3' V nose and a 5' tongue, and there's plenty of room for my weight distributing hitch. You just have to specify all your needs and measurements when ordering the trailer. If you don't properly specify what you need you might wind up with a V nose on a short tongue that won't work with a weight distributing hitch. Buyer beware and specify what you need.

Keith

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration