WSJ article on why Ford is scaling back on sedans

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: WSJ article on why Ford is scaling back on sedans
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Bob Jablonski on Friday, May 04, 2018 - 07:48 am:

Interesting .........

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/companies/the-real-reason-ford-is-phasing-out-it s-sedans/ar-AAwHSHJ?li=BBnbfcL&ocid=U508DHP.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Friday, May 04, 2018 - 09:19 am:

Nothing political on this site, huh?

Fuel prices are going up. Ford to stay in the US. only to manufacture Pickup and suv -- small cars are out.

FCA not promoting their smaller car - going gang buster on their larger V8's and revised mussle cars.

"Foreign" cars still manufacturing small cars.

We are to be energy independent with oil and gas being shipped over seas.

And a 1908 designed 20 hp Model car can get 20/25 mpg.

Move along folks nothing political here.....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Friday, May 04, 2018 - 10:04 am:

Here is another news story with a mislabeled Model T It seems every time there is a T photo published or a T used in a movie it's the wrong year or era. There can't be anything easier to research than Henry Ford and the Model T. It's just lazy sloppy journalism. It's no wonder they have earned the Fake News title.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Friday, May 04, 2018 - 10:51 am:

Maybe cut them a wee bit of slack ? According to the encyclopedia the 1915 models debuted in September 1914, implying the sedan was introduced at that time. Always confusing to split the line between actual build dates and the "model year" announcements.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George John Drobnock on Friday, May 04, 2018 - 11:46 am:

Gentlemen cut the journalist some additional slack. Remember, they are looking a just a Model T. And all Model Ts look alike.

Why if the journalist were at a car show, say Pebble Beach...they would walk past the Model Ts and head for the exotic classics....

I guess it is the same reason Ford is phasing out the smaller vehicles...they just are not exciting.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Darel J. Leipold on Friday, May 04, 2018 - 11:52 am:

The Center Door and the Couplet bodies were bought from other manufactures. Ford bought bodies from other companies. The 1915 style touring did not appear to about March of 1915 and was provided by Fisher body. A good number of a "1914" touring and roadsters were sold as 1915 models.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Friday, May 04, 2018 - 03:55 pm:

Okay, I will cut him some slack on this one, because of being a year apart. But I won't cut them any slack when they are so far off sometimes that they are using a brass when it should be a black or visa versa. It boils down to if you are a journalist or a producer, etc. do your research! That is something that is not being done in today's news world!
It doesn't take a brain surgeon to research Model T Ford's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Friday, May 04, 2018 - 04:15 pm:

Beyond details we fuss over, real journalism has been dead for 30 years and not likely to resurrect.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Friday, May 04, 2018 - 04:29 pm:

I agree Rich.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, May 04, 2018 - 05:35 pm:

Careful Rich! You may find yourself on some of the "crazies" lists just like me? :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Friday, May 04, 2018 - 06:06 pm:

Now that I have actually read the linked article? A couple comments on it. While definitely a bit of political commentary, it was not blatantly one sided, and not obvious of some of its orientation. Many of the comments are well rooted in some amount of truth. Frankly, that is more than I generally expect from "journalists" today.

And the 1914 Ford shown was the early 1914 built prototype for the center-door sedan which was offered in a less extravagant form as the 1915 model, and available about September of 1914. Two of those prototypes were built in 1914. I believe they used a body offered to all manufacturers by one of several coach building companies (including Fischer) at that time. Similar bodies were used on numerous mid-size automobiles in those days (few survivors still exist). The prototypes had many unique features including the fenders. Both the body and chassis required some modifications to fit. The production '15 sedans were simplified a bit, and used standard front fenders (special rear fenders were still required) and still required minor alterations to the standard Ford chassis.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kevin Whelihan Danbury, WI on Friday, May 04, 2018 - 06:45 pm:

I make no apologies for buying a 2016 F15 Crew cab with FWD and an extended bed. With its 3.5L Ecoboost it tows nicely and just running around it gets just under 24 MPG overall. It replaces two older vehicles 2004 Ford Escape and 1996 Silverado that got 20 MPG and 17 MPG respectively. So, yes...I am saving fuel, and oil changes, tires, grease and other stuff.

I suspect Ford's next move is to introduce a fleet of electric vehicles when battery technology improves. Wouldn't be surprised to see something like an electric crossover being marketed soon. I can see lots of consumers (including myself) keeping a larger truck to do the things it does well, but using an electrically powered vehicle as my daily driver.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Friday, May 04, 2018 - 07:23 pm:

The author of that article is an ass.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration