Head Gasket

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Head Gasket
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Grant J Barlow on Friday, May 04, 2018 - 10:55 am:

From other posts about where I live (hills) and the fact I have a TT, I decided to follow their advice and add a high compression head.

Old head came off easily, only took 4 blows w/ a rubber mallet.

So I know I have a replacement engine, opinion on whether this is the original head gasket.
Head Gasket

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Friday, May 04, 2018 - 11:07 am:

No way of knowing whether that was an original gasket. For many years the Ford dealers carried that type of gasket.

I don't know what you mean by "so I know I have a replacement engine". Does that mean you have a replacement engine ready to install or does it mean the existing engine was a replacement engine? From the looks of it, you need a rebuild. It looks like you have a severe oil burning problem and higher compression will only make it worse. The valves look bad and the water passages are very corroded and dirty.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Friday, May 04, 2018 - 02:57 pm:

Original Ford valves have two holes in the head like this. If your valves don't have the holes they're replacements, and so is the gasket.

I'm with Norm. That looks pretty nasty. Did you do a compression check? My guess is that you need at least new rings and a valve job.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Friday, May 04, 2018 - 04:23 pm:

Check if it's Ford script. It won't make it certain, as it could still have been replaced. I have a N.O.S. script one I keep hanging in the garage.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration