Speedometer for 1927 Roadster

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Speedometer for 1927 Roadster
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Sanford - Lucas, TX on Friday, May 04, 2018 - 06:27 pm:

I would like to know which speedometer should fit a 1927 Roadster dash? The hole is already cut - approx 3 1/2" in diameter. I do not have the speedometer that originally came on the Roadster but the gear on the wire wheel AC Gear

shows "AC Speedometer". The bracket in the second picture was with some other parts and appears to be an AC part as well according to pictures in Russ Furstnow's book. Cover
Can someone post pictures of speedometers that will fit the hole and be year appropriate?
Thanks for the help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Will Brown on Friday, May 04, 2018 - 06:37 pm:

This is the AC setup. The heads usually do not work as they were made of pot metal which cracked

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, May 05, 2018 - 11:25 am:

The AC drive at the wheel is on the drivers (US) side. As Will said, the original AC's speedometer head in most cases, the internal pot metal is beyond use. It swells up and cracks rendering them beyond repair. There are other newer AC speedo's that will work but do not have the old look that may or may not have the trip miles. The gear on that wheel looks pretty bad, see how flat the one Will shows is. Even if the dial is on 0 ask and if it does not move, do not buy. If it is not on 0 keep looking.
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw=model+t+-fits&_vxp=mtr&_osacat=10073&_from =R40&_trksid=p2045573.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.XAC+speedometer+-fits.TRS0&_nkw=AC+ speedometer+-fits&_sacat=10073
Many speedo heads will work with the AC drive, but they may not be 100% correct re MPH and distance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Harrison on Monday, May 07, 2018 - 12:06 am:

I liked my AC Speedometer, but could not repair it to be original. Here is a picture of the final version. New AC speedometer

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Monday, May 07, 2018 - 07:56 pm:

I think you would be happy with a Stewart speedometer made for your car. A very good reference is Russ Furstnows speedometer book.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dennis Sanford - Lucas, TX on Tuesday, May 08, 2018 - 11:17 am:

Thanks for the responses.

Larry, I would be happy to use a Stewart speedometer (or other brand) but would prefer it to be age appropriate (Thanks, Mark and David). Since the hole is already cut in the dash, I would like to install something in the existing hole (about 3 1/2" in diameter).

Page 68 of Russ Furstnow's speedometer book shows two likely candidates - The Stewart Model 160 (about 3 1/8" in diameter) and the Model 490 (about 2 1/2" in diameter). My questions are:
1. The mounting brackets for the Model 160 are shown but how do the 3 tabs mount to the speedometer head?
2. How is the Model 490 mounted in a dash and is there a mounting bracket for it that will cover the hole?

Do you have pictures of how these two models are mounted in the dash?

Thanks for the help.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Tuesday, May 08, 2018 - 06:41 pm:

David, your speedometer reminds me of a news article I heard today. In England schools are removing all analog clocks and installing digital ones. The problem is their students can't read analog clock faces! I think the problem is that their government and teachers do not understand the concept of "school"!

TH

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration