27 Model T battery connection sparking

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: 27 Model T battery connection sparking
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis Praller on Saturday, May 05, 2018 - 10:30 am:

Hi everyone, recently we installed a new generator cutout and floor starter switch on our 27 coupe. Yesterday I went to start the car and after a few seconds of turning the starter over it became extremely hot and started smoking. The terminal connection on the battery cable from the switch became so hot it melted to the terminal convection, any ideas?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Saturday, May 05, 2018 - 10:35 am:

Yup. Dead short. Disconnect the battery if the car hasn't already caught fire.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Saturday, May 05, 2018 - 10:46 am:

Which "floor starter switch" did you install ? There are/were 2 styles - one imported and one USA - my money goes towards the USA one.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Saturday, May 05, 2018 - 10:47 am:

Which I meant to say - most likely culprit would be the imported switch - I only use & install the USA switch for my own use & my customers !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis Praller on Saturday, May 05, 2018 - 12:00 pm:

Thanks, the switch I put in was the USA made one. I'll have to try and get a replacement for it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Saturday, May 05, 2018 - 12:46 pm:

Those ARE the good ones !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Peter Claverie, Memphis TN on Saturday, May 05, 2018 - 01:40 pm:

My recommendation is to install a starter solenoid, and let the floor switch actuate the solenoid.

This is not a high-dollar improvement, but it has a distinct advantage in that the solenoid switch can much better handle the high current required to spin the starter.

And, the floor switch handles miniscule current, so any of the available ones can do it with ease.

A 6 volt starter solenoid can be gotten easily, and usually for less than 20 bucks. They are plentiful at a tractor parts supplier, and a good auto parts house either has them in stock or can get them overnight.

You mount it on the cross member beneath the floor switch, and run the battery and starter cables to it. Then a small wire from its small terminal to the floor switch, and another small wire from the floor switch to a ground - usually one of the mounting bolts of the solenoid.

The only caveat is that the two large cables each have a proper terminal on the solenoid. No harm will be done if you hook them up wrong - it just won't work. Then you reverse them.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Travis Praller on Saturday, May 05, 2018 - 10:08 pm:

Ok thanks for the tips! I'll order a solenoid for it and be done with it.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration