Repaint and reupholster a 1922 centerdoor

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Repaint and reupholster a 1922 centerdoor
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stauffacher on Monday, May 07, 2018 - 12:30 pm:

After a long winter hiatus, work has resumed on my T. We have had serious problems with the paint I planned on using. After several unsuccessful combinations of gun/paint/reducer we dropped back 10 yards and punted. Decided to go back to what was on the T when I bought it - lacquer. We had some initial problems with it as well - like before the paint would just not flow right. Long story short - we think the mixing data in the material handling sheets is misleading owing to trying to be VOC compliant. MSDS say mix 5:1; we mixed 1:1.5!! Worked just fine! Test all this on rear panel. 4 coats of lacquer; lightly sanded with 800 and then compounded. Got the exact results I was looking for. Now I can paint the rest of the car!
Lacquer applied and drying.

Paint after sanding/compounding.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Monday, May 07, 2018 - 12:59 pm:

Look'n good !!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Gary Schreiber- Santa Isabel Ecuador on Monday, May 07, 2018 - 01:07 pm:

Looks great and one of my favorite T body styles

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Nunn on Monday, May 07, 2018 - 01:43 pm:

Please keep the photos coming.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, May 07, 2018 - 01:49 pm:

Looks great!
Wouldn't you be better off doing the whole car at one time to get better color match? or were you just doing a test?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry & Sharon Miller, Westminster, CO on Monday, May 07, 2018 - 04:47 pm:

David,

I hope our center door comes out that nice. I would be ecstatic!!!

Thanks for the photos. You're a real inspiration to me to get mine up to your standards.

Terry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stauffacher on Monday, May 07, 2018 - 07:15 pm:

Hi Mark,

I was doing a test but I'm not worried about matching the paint as I used only a couple cups out of a gallon for the test. I'll do the car in two sections: rear quarters followed by doors and front quarters...

I'll post photos as I go.

Thanks

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Monday, May 07, 2018 - 09:52 pm:

Looks nice. What brand lacquer are you using?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Monday, May 07, 2018 - 10:14 pm:

That polished out photo looks like I could shave in it! I actually did that many years ago on a T club camp-out, using a friends beautiful car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Tuesday, May 08, 2018 - 06:32 am:

David, you have worked your way around the mixing problem well. In our warm climate I usually end up around 1:1 thinners to lacquer. The thinner the mix you can handle, the better the gloss off the gun. Just don't get too heavy with the coat or it will run. I usually apply one coat, let it flash off, and then apply a second. That way, I can get more paint on, in a shorter time, and with less sanding/rubbing between applications.

I love using lacquer. It is very forgiving of mistakes. It gives a finish more suited to old cars. And, it smells good!

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stauffacher on Wednesday, May 09, 2018 - 12:09 pm:

I painted the rear section yesterday. I did not feel confident enough to attempt the entire car. All the trouble we had been having made me doubt my previous abilities. I discovered that by the time I finished spraying the section, rinsed out my gun and mixed up some more paint, the paint has flashed and I could start spraying right away. It all went quite smoothly. Tomorrow the rain should be gone and it will be dry enough for me to paint the rest of the body.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Wednesday, May 09, 2018 - 03:04 pm:

Well, that ought to "go like stink" with that engine under the hood !

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stauffacher on Thursday, May 10, 2018 - 06:22 pm:

I was able to give the rest of the body about 5 coats of lacquer. All went well except for the small bug that flew through an open vent window and landing right smack dab in the middle of the cowl! The damage will disappear after compounding which will start next week!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stauffacher on Saturday, June 16, 2018 - 07:12 pm:

I'm making progress! Completed compounding the T - hand rubbed the pillars and sills, used polisher on body panels. I'm happy with the results although there are a couple of spots I want to touch up. I laid down 6-7 coats of lacquer and then sanded with 1000 grit before compounding. I'll wait until top and interior installed before final polish and wax.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Saturday, June 16, 2018 - 08:28 pm:

Really looking nice! Interesting C-door you have there. Right hand steering?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Saturday, June 16, 2018 - 10:59 pm:

A thing of beauty! Thanks for the update.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stauffacher on Saturday, August 11, 2018 - 07:24 pm:

I started to install the headliner today. I haven't had this much fun since I shot my dog!!! I'm too big and old to be contorting myself inside that centerdoor! Having the right tools helps considerably. I'm very happy with the material. Tomorrow I'll go back and look for mistakes before trimming and installing the headliner cord.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Allan Bennett - Australia on Saturday, August 11, 2018 - 08:35 pm:

David, I had a chuckle when you mentioned the bug on the cowl. I had the same thing happen to me on the finish coat on my 1915 tourer splash panel. I left the little bugger there, polished around it and made him suffer. He's still there, 27 years later!!!

Allan from down under.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Sunday, August 12, 2018 - 05:13 am:

Looks absolutely wonderful Dave! And, yes its not unlike trying to drywall a outhouse~

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Sunday, August 12, 2018 - 07:35 am:

Very nice work.

Nothing like black lacquer....it reminds me of hanging out with my dad's hotrodder friends when I was a kid. One of them could really lay down the lacquer beautifully. He'd then let me wet sand it until it looked like it was 10 feet deep.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stauffacher on Thursday, August 30, 2018 - 05:51 pm:

I added the top and aprons to the T. It is amazing how those two items transformed that skeleton body into something that resembles a car!! Both tasks were a two-person effort. The scariest part was lifting the body off the frame high enough to slip the fender aprons into place! I also compounded and polished the aprons and the touch-up areas on the body. Now I will continue installing the interior.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Friday, August 31, 2018 - 04:43 am:

Look'n real nice Dave...

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Curtis Fesler on Friday, August 31, 2018 - 06:53 am:

You have given me inspiration to paint my 1923 Fordor. Right now I'm trying to install a new set of tires.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stauffacher on Saturday, September 15, 2018 - 04:31 pm:

Completed installing all door post interior and glass. The rear oval panel was a two-man job - lots of trial and fit! After some clean-up work, I'm ready to install the side and door panels!

The window opening stapled, trimmed and ready for glass:

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Saturday, September 15, 2018 - 04:41 pm:

Well done! :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Denny Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Saturday, September 15, 2018 - 07:56 pm:

BEAUTIFUL!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Sunday, September 16, 2018 - 03:26 am:

Yes indeed! Very nice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Robert Kiefaber on Sunday, September 16, 2018 - 03:51 am:

Great job! Where did you get your top from?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stauffacher on Sunday, September 16, 2018 - 06:41 pm:

I got all my material from Cartouche (Mac's Auto). I'm very pleased with the quality and amount of material in the kit.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dallas Landers NE Indiana on Sunday, September 16, 2018 - 06:46 pm:

Looking great David. I like the center door T's.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Lloid on Sunday, September 16, 2018 - 07:58 pm:

Wow looks great.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Albert Lemon on Sunday, September 16, 2018 - 10:32 pm:

Paint looks really nice and the upholstery is outstanding. BUT you are going to regret using that light colored primer. Next time have it tinted to a dark charcoal, even the red oxide color.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By David Stauffacher on Tuesday, September 18, 2018 - 04:47 pm:

I was able to make a trial fit of the rear seats - snug and in place! The side panels are temporarily nailed in place. Final fit will be after installing trim material around seat fence and kick panel.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don Booth@ Bay City, Mi on Wednesday, September 19, 2018 - 06:27 pm:

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration