OT: Suggestions for polishing plastic cigarette lighter knob?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: OT: Suggestions for polishing plastic cigarette lighter knob?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Bamford, Edmonton AB on Monday, May 07, 2018 - 11:50 pm:

The one on the left is the original unit... reasonably shiny but overheat-damaged where the black meets the base.

The replacement unit in the middle is a lucky $3 find at the Red Deer AB swap meet on Friday... identical but kind of scuffed and dull.

The treasure at right is a freebie throw-in with the middle unit and intended for practice polishing.

Looking for suggestions on how to polish the black plastic knob on the replacement unit to roughly equal the appearance of the original. Thanks in advance!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marv Konrad (Green Bay Area) on Tuesday, May 08, 2018 - 01:29 am:

-Chris-
When I've wanted to polish parts, I've used the jeweler's rouge compound and a flannel buffing wheel, mounted to an extended shaft electric motor. Got wheels & five different compounds at Harbor Freight... Note: DO get different wheels for using the different polishing compounds; DON'T mix different compounds on the same wheel. Educate yourself, protect yourself, then try some practice with your practice sample. Good luck!

Take Care; Behave; Keep Breathing (and)
"T-reat yourself to some 'Sweet-T'!!!"

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Wetherbee - Downeast Maine on Tuesday, May 08, 2018 - 07:51 am:

They also make an abrasive buffing compound specifically for plastic which works well. I think mine came from a set of buffing compounds bought at one of the large chain home improvement stores.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Denny Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Tuesday, May 08, 2018 - 08:19 am:

By accident I discovered that the disinfecting wipes (the ones in the circular plastic containers) clean plastic up very well. I have the "Member's Mark" brand that are alcohol free. I was wiping my hands and saw over spray on a plastic knob and wiped it down and it cleaned it up very well. I started using them on many plastic items and was surprised how well they clean and shine.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chris Bamford, Edmonton AB on Tuesday, May 08, 2018 - 09:55 pm:

Done! I wasn't looking for perfection (nor did I find it) but did achieve the "lightly used" look I wanted.

Thanks to all for your suggestions and comments.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration