Vaporizer nightmare.

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Vaporizer nightmare.
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Sims--Reed City,Mich. on Tuesday, May 08, 2018 - 05:12 pm:

Been trying for the last 3 hours to get my 27 to ;run with the vaporizer. New hot plate, new hot air pipe. cleaned everything and installed new manifold ring and gland gaskets. It will start and idle for about 15 seconds then die. Will not accelerate. Any suggestion before I scrap it and install a NH?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Matthew Atchinson on Tuesday, May 08, 2018 - 06:09 pm:

My suggestion, would in fact be to hang it on the wall for conversation and use the NH or another carburetor with the usual T intake and exhaust manifold. T's don't breathe well in the first place, the vaporizer just exacerbates that problem imo.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Tomaso - Longbranch,WA on Tuesday, May 08, 2018 - 06:11 pm:

Didn't by chance swap out OR mix up the Vaporizer bowl drain with a NH bowl drain ???????

They are NOT INTERCHANGEABLE !!!!!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry Horlick in Penn Valley, CA on Tuesday, May 08, 2018 - 06:17 pm:

Jim,

I love the vaporizer on my '27. It can be a bear to get them to run but then they last a long time with no additional needs.

You have to be sure there are no air leaks. I used a stone to lap the surfaces that hold the hot plate in place flat. You can put down some high temp. RTV on that, but be careful to use barely enough to have a slight film as it is easy to clog up the passages. Make sure the riser tube seals against the castings, I also use some RTV there. I like the stainless steel tube sold by the T vendors, if you don't replace your tube be sure there are no pinholes worn in to it. The heat exchange wire spiraled around that tube can wear a hole there.

It sounds like you are not getting fuel... sticking float valve? After it stalls out check to see if there is fuel in the bowl (the little drain on the bottom). Also check your float level is set right.

Years ago I got frustrated with mine and switched to a Stromberg... I finally came back to the Vaporizer, the happy feeling of seeing the correct carburator there is worth more than the little frustration invested.

It is well worth looking at this post.

IMHO< TH

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Denny Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Tuesday, May 08, 2018 - 07:15 pm:

I run my '27 with a Vaporizer set up and I love it. In fact I just got back from the ice cream stand! :-):-) It ran like a scalded dog over and back.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daren Carlson on Tuesday, May 08, 2018 - 10:53 pm:

Built one from pieces back in the early seventies and installed on my 26. Started first time and ran really nice.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C west central, MN on Wednesday, May 09, 2018 - 12:45 am:

New install or a re-fresh? Perhaps a valid question. :-)
Jim, keep trying, you'll get it. Steve is quite correct about the bowl drain. A hole in the top center means NH only.
TH's notions are correct but I see you've replaced the primary air tube already.
No air leaks, correct float height and correct drain valve. How does the joint between the outlet tube and the lower/float bowl casting look?
If you scrap it and go the easy/NH route, I want your Vaporizer setup. Cheap of course since it isn't working! :-) ;-)
3 pull hand cranking a late wore out Vapo engine in a TT.
:-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eubanks, Powell, TN on Wednesday, May 09, 2018 - 07:50 am:

Sounds like a leak around the vertical tube and nut. I have had one of mine actually run with a bolt out of the plate face (got loose and fell out on a trip). I seal all the vac points with red high temp silicone. These things work and work well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eubanks, Powell, TN on Wednesday, May 09, 2018 - 07:53 am:

After re reading Terry's note above, I would try the fuel volume test, Take the feed line off and let it run into a container to make sure there is no stoppage in the lines, valve, filter or tank.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Haynes, Lodi, CA on Wednesday, May 09, 2018 - 05:11 pm:

Filter?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eubanks, Powell, TN on Wednesday, May 09, 2018 - 05:18 pm:

My 26 and 27 both have filters in the valve body housing. I bought them from one of the venders and they were supposed to be replacements for some sort of original screen.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Wednesday, May 09, 2018 - 05:48 pm:

Yeah, something's wrong because they obviously will run with a Vaporizer set up correctly. Please check the fuel flow as suggested because quitting after running indicates you're losing something. Honestly I changed my '27 Tudor over to an NH and never looked back.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Sims--Reed City,Mich. on Wednesday, May 09, 2018 - 05:53 pm:

I give up! I totally tore it apart and checked for leaks or junk. High temp rtv on everything. Started and ran good but when I shut it off, it would not start again. NH goes on tomorrow.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration