Correct Tools for 1911 Model T

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Correct Tools for 1911 Model T
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Haynes - Chadron, Nebraska on Tuesday, May 08, 2018 - 06:29 pm:

I am in the process of collecting the correct factory tools that came with the Model T Roadster in 1911. Is there a good reference source that has this information? I would appreciate the help!
John

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Tuesday, May 08, 2018 - 06:34 pm:

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/493686.html?1417376668

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/411944/497015.html?1417182718

http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/506218/534221.html?1429402779

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Haynes - Chadron, Nebraska on Tuesday, May 08, 2018 - 06:40 pm:

Thank you Mark!!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Tuesday, May 08, 2018 - 07:00 pm:

I respectfully suggest that that T2178 spark plug socket was NOT part of the 1911 tool set since I remember that the drawing for that item was first drawn up in 1912 so it was a 1912 and perhaps somewhat later that it was in the tool kit. I also saw and have here somewhere a letter to dealers that notified them that for 1913 the factory was now including a jack but also that roadsters and touring cars would be supplied with a top boot. The letter made it specific that the dealer could not make requisition to the factory for the jack and/or boot for any car that was shipped BEFORE October of 1912 since those cars were considered 1912 models. Only cars shipped on or after October 1 of 1912 could make "requisition" to the factory for the 2 items mentioned.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Larry Smith, Lomita, California on Tuesday, May 08, 2018 - 09:43 pm:

I respect Johns comments, but I prefer to use the tools pictured for the year of my car in the Ford parts books!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John F. Regan on Tuesday, May 08, 2018 - 10:51 pm:

With all due respect Larry from my personal research and hours spent with Bruce McCalley my conclusion is that the pictures in the parts books are the least reliable info. That is because slides of parts and tools were not easy to make and even harder to make them part of the parts books. There are many examples of where the slides were simply left alone and used again and again because their main purpose was to show an example of a part in question and no real thought was given to our judging standards in which we try to show the exact part for a given year. They just didn't care if something was the current year so long as it was a door handle or a tail light bracket. They did change them but often they were not current to the year of the parts book. I have the drawing for that T2178 Socket and it is dated October 16, 1911 which is right at the beginning of the 1912 Model Year which began October 1, 1911. Ford basically didn't draw up many of the tools until 1913 year so that makes it tough to figure out what was used unless they made a change which in the case of the spark plug socket they did just that and it was a new part number and drawing that was not used before that.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration