Aux Transmission rebuild kits

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Aux Transmission rebuild kits
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By J. Ryan Snellen on Wednesday, May 09, 2018 - 11:44 am:

Who offers rebuild kits (gaskets & bearings) for auxiliary transmissions?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Wednesday, May 09, 2018 - 12:04 pm:

What kind of auxiliary transmission? Ruckstell most all the suppliers. Other types, you have to search out bearings and make your own gaskets. The only off the shelf gasket I know about is the side cover for the cast iron 3 speed Warfords.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Henry Petrino in Modesto, CA on Wednesday, May 09, 2018 - 12:13 pm:

Mark is correct. When I went through my Muncie I took the old worn bearings to a bearing shop. The guy there easily matched them up (inner dia., outer dia., thickness). It worked out great.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By J. Ryan Snellen on Wednesday, May 09, 2018 - 12:36 pm:

I've yet to buy a Ruskstell but generally asking in regards to the ones that sit aft of the four main; Muncie, Chicago, Jumbo, etc.

What thickness gasket is recommended? A stop at a bearing shop will be great!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Terry & Sharon Miller, Westminster, CO on Wednesday, May 09, 2018 - 01:57 pm:

What do you offer for Warford transmissions? I'm speaking of the old cast iron and early, aluminum, NOT the new KC Warfords.

Thanks,

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Wednesday, May 09, 2018 - 06:31 pm:

Nobody sells kits for the old transmissions other than the Ruckstell. Haven't seen any specs for adjustment either, you are on your own. One of several advantages of the modern Warford if you can and want to shell out the extra $$$$.

I smoked a couple bearings in my Chicago a few years ago. My fault as I hadn't checked the oil level even though I knew it would leak. I took it apart and went to visit a bearing supply shop in Seattle that happily ordered new bearings and races. I check the fluid level more often now.

Any decent sized city will have either a bearing supply place or at least machine shops that could measure the bearings and order them. If you are really lucky you might even find part numbers on the old bearings.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Wednesday, May 09, 2018 - 09:05 pm:

Walt B, Try a quarter cup of STP (stay together please as we sometimes call it). I know several people that have done that with oozy auxiliary transmissions. A small amount can slow oozing shafts and gaskets. I don't know for sure how much is too much, but it has been argued that too much STP can sometimes reduce oil flow to critical bearings. And check grease/oil levels often.

Most such auxiliary transmissions (Warford, Muncie, Jumbo Giant) are fairly simple to work on. Warford has one very important bearing that is not available in a modern equivalent. A good creative machinist can work around it. A bad creative machinist can ruin valuable parts.

An exception to "simple" is the Chicago. They are considered by many in the know to be the best overall. However, they require a VERY careful adjustment of the upper shaft bearings. Positioning and tightness are critical. If they are off a little bit, it may work fine for thousands of miles, and slowly destroy the gears before you know it.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Peternell on Monday, May 14, 2018 - 03:38 pm:

Walt I sent you a PM regarding bearings for
Chicago transmissions. Any information regarding
Replacement bearings would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Monday, May 14, 2018 - 04:07 pm:

Michael - Sorry, been out of town and out of touch. Unfortunately, when I got the bearings, I did not make note of the numbers so I'm not really of any help other than suggesting that you take the tired ones from your transmission to a good bearing shop (or other shop) that knows how to source bearings by size and type.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Michael Peternell on Monday, May 14, 2018 - 07:01 pm:

No worries. Just curious, how long ago did you do this? Maybe there not available anymore. Icler bearing in St Cloud MN looking for me. Pretty well respected in our area. Thanks for getting back to me!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Monday, May 14, 2018 - 07:53 pm:

That was 4 or 5 years ago, the local (Seattle) company, Applied Industrial Technology, checked them for sizes etc. and pulled out catalogs as well as searching online. It really helps to find a supplier that knows products and is willing to take on a bit of a challenge looking for odd stuff. One of the guys there wasn't real interested in doing a search but the other fellow I spoke with was happy to dig some.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Monday, May 14, 2018 - 08:38 pm:

You could also spend some time doing your own search on line. Just remember ALL bearings even back then are MM not INCHES. All you have to know is diameter, hole size, how wide, shielded one side or both, non shielded, thrust or not. You could even check the numbers on them, some even today, use the same root number. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Tuesday, May 15, 2018 - 11:57 am:

Send me a PM and I'll look up the Chicago bearing numbers for you. It will take a few days for me to get back to you.
Dan

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration