OT Getting negative eBay buyer feedback removed

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: OT Getting negative eBay buyer feedback removed
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Saturday, May 12, 2018 - 10:21 pm:

Have any of you reported an eBay buyer that left negative feedback that was a complete lie?

After you reported the buyer, was that negative feedback removed?

I recently sold a cloisonné radiator badge that was no where near to being mint.

I clearly stated in the description that the cloisonné was chipped. The damage can be seen in the photos.

The buyer said I had not disclosed the damage and that I had painted to badge to "fake the photos."

(Message edited by Erik_johnson on May 12, 2018)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, May 12, 2018 - 10:34 pm:

You will need to contact ebay. so far I have been lucky.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Saturday, May 12, 2018 - 10:41 pm:

I did report the buyer to eBay.

Just wondering if folks have been successful in getting the negative feedback removed after the report was submitted.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Andreasen on Saturday, May 12, 2018 - 10:43 pm:

That's one of the reasons I stopped selling on Ebay years ago. Everything is in favor of the buyer, no matter how much of a schmuck the guy might be. That, and they required access to my bank account in order to use Paypal.

You can sure try though. Contact them and dispute the feedback, plus place feedback of your own against the buyer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Saturday, May 12, 2018 - 11:14 pm:

George:

You are correct that eBay is slanted toward the buyer and it is getting worse.

eBay buyer and seller feedback is public.

While buyers may leave public negative feedback for sellers, eBay no longer allows sellers to leave public negative feedback for buyers. Also, eBay no longer allows a public rebuttal to negative feedback.

The only choices for sellers is to leave positive feedback or report the buyer.

When a seller reports a buyer, the complaint is confidential between eBay and the seller. Therefore, the complaint is not publicly displayed and even the buyer against whom the complaint has been filed is unaware of the complaint.

Of course, the seller can always inform the buyer that a complaint has been filed.

About the only buyers that you can prevent from bidding on items are those that have had a lot of unpaid item claims filed against them. However, you can't prevent other problem buyers from bidding on items such folks who habitually leave dishonest, negative feedback.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Saturday, May 12, 2018 - 11:38 pm:

Had a Godawful experience with some miserable, rotten lowlife that was hitting the 'buy it now' button to reduce the competition for a near identical car he had on.
Three separate times.
Even though the transaction was never completed, they left negative feedback,all three times.
eBay would do nothing.
That meant War.
After some investigation, I tracked down and spoke with some relatives of his.I learned he was under investigation by the Feds for finacial fraud.Nothing to do with eBay.He was also on the lamm.
I got in touch with the Federal Prosecutor in charge of the case.I provided vital information which helped them track him down.He was indicted and convicted.He spent about a year in Federal prison.
While he was in prison,I wrote him a letter telling him who I was and my involvement.
Same relative that put me on to him also told me who his wife was bedding down with in his abscence,which I also advised him of.
Sweetest revenge of my life.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Sunday, May 13, 2018 - 07:11 am:

I stopped using them years ago for this reason. They guarantee buyer satisfaction and don't care about the seller. This scam artist switched the parts and after two months wanted his money back. I had everything documented very obvious what was going on. Twenty minutes after I emailed everything to them they ruled for the buyer. They returned his money and tried to collect from me. It was $55.00,but it was the principle and I can be quite stubborn, I refused to pay. They said they would take it out of my account, I told them lots of luck as it was empty. After two years they gave up trying to collect.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Doug Keppler, Fredon NJ on Sunday, May 13, 2018 - 07:25 am:

Great story Jim, you better hope he doesn't track YOU down when he gets out!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dean Dorholt - Mpls, MN on Sunday, May 13, 2018 - 08:06 am:

Happened to me with a overseas buyer, they left positive comments but selected the negative button. I reported to ebad and nothing ever changed on my feedback.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RJ Walworth, New York on Sunday, May 13, 2018 - 08:11 am:

Dan I had a buyer do the same thing purchasing the parts and complained that the parts didn’t work so eBay decided towards the buyer and refunded the money When I received the parts back he scammed me out of half the parts so I followed a complaint against the buyer and they actually gave me back the money

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Sunday, May 13, 2018 - 09:03 am:

Good luck getting good results as a seller.I list everything as parts not working,and then tell what it does and doesn't do in the text at the time the photograph was taken with the statement,handling during shipping can alter the function of said device.So far I have not been stricken by the big - but you never know,goof balls are everywhere.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Sunday, May 13, 2018 - 09:03 am:

RJ,glad someone actually won a round with them.
I also had an episode I still feel bad about.
Sold and shipped a small item Priority Mail to Canada.Buyer left positive feedback.
Then,a few days later rescinded the feedback,saying he had made a mistake,and in fact had not received the item.This was before tracking was available for the area it was to be delivered to.
He,I,and eBay went round and round.Phone.Letters.It got nasty.
Around this time,one of my elderly neighbors went into the nursing home.
Months later, when it was obvious she was never going to get out,her people came to get the house ready to sell.
Her son came over to my place with a priority mail box that was smashed nearly flat.It had been on her back porch.It was the item in question. Destroyed.
By this time,I had become fed up with eBay.But I told them the story,and attempted to set things right.He had paid with a Money Order.I called the phone number I had for him,left several messages.No response.Sent two letters.No response.
The very odd thing is,my return address on that was my PO box,the Post Office being right there in the little town.My physical address was on the customs paperwork..So I jumped the rural carrier,also one of my neighbors,and he was puzzled.He was on sick leave around that time,maybe a sub fouled up.
Only logical explanation is the old gal neighbor got it from the PO to bring to me,then didn't.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Grisbee---Cheyenne Wyo on Sunday, May 13, 2018 - 11:44 pm:

I haven't been scammed yet but run into more and more people that have. A Colorado guy I met at a swapmeet awhile back told me there is actually a web site that explains how to scam sellers out of their item and their money. I haven't tried to check it out to see if it was true.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Monday, May 14, 2018 - 09:57 am:

In my case I had emails going back and forth with the "buyer" trying to settle so I wouldn't lose my perfect rating. It was totally obvious what was going on. I forward everything to ebay. They asked my permission to deal with with this jerk and they would make a binding resolution. It was so obvious I agreed. Big mistake, that's when they contacted me 20 minutes later ruling in the buyers favor. I doubt they even looked at what I sent them and on principle I refused to reimburse them what they refunded
The way they operate just think, if you sold a high performance car thru them, the buyer could put a regular engine in it, contact ebay complaining to them that the seller misled them and wanted their money back. You know who ebay would side with.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan Killecut on Monday, May 14, 2018 - 10:52 am:

RJ, I am glad ebay took care of you, maybe they have changed how they handle complaints, my experience was a long time ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Monday, May 14, 2018 - 11:21 am:

Even though my listings have a no return policy, I'll gladly refund someone's money regardless if they have a legitimate or bogus complaint. In this case it is the lying in the feedback that really bothers me and the fact that the buyer never bothered to contact me about his "complaint" prior to leaving the feedback.

Because my eBay sales are cyclical and feedback is calculated on a rolling 12 month average, this one negative feedback really put a dent in my rating because I have not had many transactions in the past 12 months. Also, any potential buyer who reads the feedback for this particular transaction will think that I am a bait and switch con artist.

This is only the second negative feedback I have received over the years. The other negative feedback was similar. The buyer complained that I didn't disclose the true condition of the item (when I actually did disclose it) and the condition could be clearly seen in the photos.

Even if the seller has a no return policy, all purchases on eBay can be returned under their buyer protection policy if the item was misrepresented so I feel there is no advantage to allow returns in my listings.

If you do allow returns under your listings, eBay upped it from 14 days to 30 days. The trade off for allowing returns is that you only pay an 8% commission instead of 10%. However, I think that both 14 and 30 days are way too generous and not worth the reduced commission. In my opinion, it should be two days.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Monday, May 14, 2018 - 11:57 am:

Well the way i look at this is a bit off from most.
If I go to a auction down the road and buy something and get it home and realize it aint what it was projected to be or what I thought it was, guess what? I am stuck with it anyhow and just have to suck it up and move on with life.There is no returns at live auctions.The only negative feed back I can provide is grumble about it to all my friends. And the original owner has kicked the bucket and the estate was sold off, the auctioneer is not liable for a dang thing.I bought a cast iron bulldozer toy once at a auction.Paid a fair price but it was clearly advertised as a Hubbely, "spelling". When I got it,it was clearly a Chinese copy. Nothing I could do but give the auctioneer that said it was Hubbely a dirty look and pay and leave and not let him jip me anymore.
On ebay Unless there is deliberate or criminal activity as in selling stolen stuff on the part of the seller,returns should not be easily acquired.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walter Higgins on Monday, May 14, 2018 - 12:08 pm:

I have a friend that went through some similar issues and found eBay to be more responsive if you get them on the phone. It takes a bit of digging, but you can actually find a number and get a human on the phone. If might be worth the effort if reporting through the system isn't working to your satisfaction.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Erik Johnson on Monday, May 14, 2018 - 12:37 pm:

With eBay you can always ask the seller questions and ask for more photos before you even bother to bid.

Before the auction ends, you can always retract your bid.

If you win an eBay auction, you can also decide not to pay.

Many sellers are also very accommodating and can cancel the transaction without harming the buyer's rating. Some bidders do make honest mistakes.

There are all kinds of "outs" for the buyer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jason Alvord on Monday, May 14, 2018 - 01:39 pm:

Erik... paypal allows for 6 months return now I think. Don't like it after 5.9 months and you can send it back. So if the buyer pays with paypal keep that in mind also!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James Chochole, Oswego, IL on Monday, May 14, 2018 - 02:01 pm:

No big deal- I had a fellow who was unreasonable and left unjust negative feedback. EBay allows the seller to refute/rebut the comment. Don't sweat it- just the cost of doing business.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Monday, May 14, 2018 - 02:26 pm:

1 866 540 3229 is a number I used a few months ago when i dug around and had a question.
IF I aint mistaken you need a code for your complaint though ,showing you had went thru some hoops to get the phone number. I can't remember the hoops I jumped thru.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Brent in 10-uh-C on Friday, May 18, 2018 - 10:20 am:

Erik, I know the negative feedback bothers you but in reality no one really cares about stuff like that any more. Unfounded negative feedback and bogus reviews are so commonplace these days that the general public tends to overlook them because they know they are likely tainted.

I personally have received several bogus Google and Facebook reviews from someone who I do not know and have never done business with however these people are posting as a former clients of mine under alias names. I suspect it is a competitor, so I have turned-off my social media reviewing option, and I just overlook the Google listing review which apparently is originating from a foreign country. I cannot tell this has affected my business whatsoever. I suggest you just relax and know that anyone that is serious about doing business with you will not let one, --or even a few negative comments affect their decision to do business with you. It is an unfortunate world that we live in where deceit and slander are so common without any remorse or guilt.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Aaron Griffey, Hayward Ca. on Saturday, May 19, 2018 - 10:46 am:

I had 100% positive feedback on eBay with a 250 after my user name when I got a new computer and can’t remember my pass word.
When I first signed up on eBay in 1999 l had a different phone number and the email provider is long gone too.
eBay doesn’t want to help me.
Instead of registering a new user name, etc. I just stay off eBay.
But sometimes I see stuff I need and have been looking for.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mack Cole ---- Earth on Saturday, May 19, 2018 - 11:01 am:

Well I understand what Brent is saying but still,if I got a unfounded negative feedback,the temptation of a road trip would be overwhelming.
That is 1 of the few things I despise is someone calling me a liar when i know I am telling the truth.It has not helped me in life as i have stood up to the wrong people a couple times that had a "image" to protect and the truth got in the way.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Saturday, May 19, 2018 - 11:16 am:

RE; Erik, I know the negative feedback bothers you but in reality no one really cares about stuff like that any more.
Don't kid yourself, there are a lot of people that look at feedback and make a discussion to shop with the seller, Me included.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration