Magneto

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Magneto
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg Lillico on Sunday, May 13, 2018 - 01:37 am:

Got to thinking about my magneto the other day. Was wondering if anyone has tried using modern magnet.Like those small round ones that are very powerful? Looking forward to some input, Thanks!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Sunday, May 13, 2018 - 01:48 am:

Greg,that is a fascinating point.Never considered that.
Think of it....you could have a powerful mag,with vastly reduced weight,all near the periphery of the flywheel.
The magneto field coil would respond to changes of polarity regardless of the shape of the magnet.
Someone needs to experiment.
I had forgotten about this,but one of my T mentors was playing with a setup similar to a lawn mower mag at the time of his unexpected death.Forget the details.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Hood -Long Beach, California on Sunday, May 13, 2018 - 02:02 am:

Here is a past thread where Bill Stipe has made just such a flywheel.
http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/179374/184572.html?1320869003

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Sunday, May 13, 2018 - 02:49 am:

Just goes to show there is nothing new under the sun.
I was a forum member in those days,and likely read that thread and since forgot.
A great idea.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By George Andreasen on Sunday, May 13, 2018 - 09:04 am:

I'm building one right now and it shows promise. It consists of a machined 14" x 3/4" thick aluminum disk that bolts to the flywheel in place of the magnets. Around the periphery are samarium cobalt magnets, each a 1/4" x 1/4" cylinder with six at each one of the 16 pole positions. The magnets are set in little pockets, flush with the surface and held with Rocksett compound, then the original Ford keepers. The entire assembly weighs about 2 /1/2 lbs. less than the entire group of Ford magnets.

It's important to NOT use the readily available neodymium magnets, as they have a very low temperature tolerance. Samarium cobalt will tolerate up to 850F.

I hand spun the assembly and got voltage, so it's looking good. At this point I have to get my coil ring rebuilt and then I'll have something I can post pictures of.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Greg Lillico on Sunday, May 13, 2018 - 02:05 pm:

Great stuff! Thanks, guys. I wish I had the abilities of Bill Stipe. My concern would be slinging the oil around. George, look forward to your pictures.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Gregush Portland Oregon on Sunday, May 13, 2018 - 05:52 pm:

I would not worry about slinging oil, plenty would get slung with the teeth and flywheel anyway. :-)

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration