White smoke

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: White smoke
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eido Walny, Milwaukee on Sunday, May 13, 2018 - 09:11 pm:

Friends,

After a long WI winter, the weather was nice enough this evening to get my 27 Tudor out for a spin this evening. I had her on the battery trickle all weekend, so I had good electrical. I lubed her up and added fresh gas. I hacked my tire pressure and gave the engine a quick once over. Everything looked good.

My electric starter needs to be replaced, so I hand cranked her and had her running in less than 5 minutes. I adjusted the choke a bit and had her humming. Away I went.

About 30 minutes into the maiden run, I noticed some white smoke emitting from the exhaust during idles. It cleared up when I drove but got pretty heavy when I was in idle. Definitely was not an issue early in the run.

Any thoughts what could have caused that?

Thanks in advance.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Humble Northern Michigan on Sunday, May 13, 2018 - 09:15 pm:

Coolant leaking into the cylinder or head.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Val Soupios on Sunday, May 13, 2018 - 09:16 pm:

If you run antifreeze and there is a leak in the head gasket that would cause white smoke but it also usually has a slightly sweet odor.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eido Walny, Milwaukee on Sunday, May 13, 2018 - 09:23 pm:

That sounds like a serious issue. How do I go about addressing that?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Humble Northern Michigan on Sunday, May 13, 2018 - 09:38 pm:

Pull the head and inspect for a leak from a crack or bad head gasket.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dan McEachern on Sunday, May 13, 2018 - 11:34 pm:

look in the radiator fill neck for bubbles while its running. Bubbles indicate a coolant leak into a cylinder- also pull the plugs, a really clean plug is an indication of steam in the combustion chamber.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jeff Humble Northern Michigan on Monday, May 14, 2018 - 07:19 am:

Oil that looks like a milkshake is coolant leaking into the oil pan.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By george house . . .caldwell county, TX on Monday, May 14, 2018 - 11:20 am:

Cardinals chose a new Pope ??

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, May 14, 2018 - 12:13 pm:

Was the radiator drained before you stored the car for winter? If not, did you have sufficient anti-freeze to keep it from freezing? If you stored with coolant in it, did you need to add coolant before you started the engine? In the latter case, you might have a very small leak into the cylinder. It would take several months to leak very much into it. In that time, some of the coolant could also get into the crankcase and if so would raise the oil level. A large leak would cause the coolant to drop quite low and also get into the crankcase. If it was stored with coolant in it, you could have cracks in the head or block.
Look for all of the above and correct if any leak is found.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eido Walny, Milwaukee on Monday, May 14, 2018 - 07:59 pm:

You know, George, in my original post, I had typed ďand, no, I was not involved in picking a new Pope.í But I deleted it because I wasnít sure it would be funny. But itís funny.

Norm, I did store the car with plenty of coolant, but not excessive. And my garage doesnít get too too cold in winter. I doubt anything froze in there. I checked the coolant level and did not need to add any.

When I got home tonight, I started the car up to make some observations. I did observe a tiny amount of bubbling in the radiator. Just a bubble or two here and there. I did not smell anything in the exhaust fumes - though I didnít stand back there for too long. It smelled like exhaust.

I did not observe anything amiss in the oil fill area, another telltale sign I was told, and to your point, Norm. Definitely no issues of overflow in the oil crankcase.

To boot, I tried for 10 minutes to get the white plume back and couldnít. I idled and then ran some throttle, but nothing. Now it is worth note that the smoke did not start until about 30 minutes into my run yesterday.

One other thing I noticed today was a tiny white mist off my intake manifold, right by the connection to the carb. Very small, but definitely there.

Is any of this helping?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Harry Lillo on Monday, May 14, 2018 - 08:26 pm:

I would first check to see if the head bolts are torqued down properly. Go around the head bolts with a 5/8 long handled wrench and see if any feel loose?
Harry

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eido Walny, Milwaukee on Monday, May 14, 2018 - 08:38 pm:

It would have been amazing to fix that issue with just a loose screw - but alas, all the head bolt are on there snuggly.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Norman T. Kling on Monday, May 14, 2018 - 09:15 pm:

There might not be a problem. Drive it around and check oil and water frequently(after it cools off). Sometimes when the weather is cold and humid, you get condensation on any cold part. That could be what you are getting on the intake manifold. Gasoline, when it vaporizes actually cools the intake manifold. You could also have some condensation in the muffler and tail pipe. However, that would be most noticeable when your engine is cold. Sometimes when cold they send out white steam which looks like smoke caused by the condensation evaporating.
Norm

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Eido Walny, Milwaukee on Monday, May 14, 2018 - 09:23 pm:

Nothing would be a great problem to have - for a change! Iíll drive it around a bit more and see if I can duplicate the symptoms.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dave Eddie on Tuesday, May 15, 2018 - 10:46 am:

you should also rule out the possibility of some foreign substance in your fuel, such as a bit of diesel fuel

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Codman on Tuesday, May 15, 2018 - 11:27 am:

I'd run a compression test. In a non-pressurized cooling system, if coolant can enter the cylinder, cylinder pressure will enter the cooling system. As was said earlier - look for bubbles at the top of the radiator coolant.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration