More....Nuthin' Special......

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: More....Nuthin' Special......
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By chris becker on Wednesday, May 16, 2018 - 01:21 am:

Well it has been a while. With the move going on and me getting ready to build my own shop and turn home garage into my machine shop. There hasn't been time for us to work on Nuthin Special for awhile. Bought time for a quick update.

1. Made a simple plate for ammeter and headlight switch.

2. Door was just held on by a vice grip. Finally got around to bolting it in place next isn't to frame and build a simple door latch.

3. Had to make floorboards so tonight Melissa my beautiful wife helped me make patternswhich suck at making

Next step make them out of an old oak desk top we found.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Wednesday, May 16, 2018 - 04:11 am:

Chris,

Look forward to meeting you Saturday.

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Chad Marchees _____Tax Capital, NY on Wednesday, May 16, 2018 - 06:03 am:

Always two thumbs up for all these posts. I really enjoy this build. I wish I had this going on when I was that age.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James G Fisher III Peachtree City, GA on Wednesday, May 16, 2018 - 06:26 am:

Looking good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Wednesday, May 16, 2018 - 06:52 am:

good stuff going on there....keep it up

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By chris becker on Wednesday, May 16, 2018 - 09:42 am:

Jim me too. Had to make floorboards for ya so your shoes don't melt on the exhaust pipe.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By chris becker on Wednesday, May 16, 2018 - 09:46 am:

Chad , James and Don thanks for the positive feedback we look forward to working on this project more. Hope to start sanding the body and get it painted soon.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Wrenn-Monroeville OH on Wednesday, May 16, 2018 - 09:57 am:

What IS SPECIAL is seeing young kids getting involved! Way to go!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By chris becker on Wednesday, May 16, 2018 - 10:09 am:

Yup we have a lot of fun working on it together. Any of guys know how to post links to my last three updates so anyone new here can follow along one our story with Carston's Nuthin' Special?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By RICHARD GRZEGOROWICZ on Wednesday, May 16, 2018 - 11:52 am:

WELCOME BACK CARSTON, I missed your adventures,you are one lucky young fella.what you are up to with your dad reminds me of my youth,all the men in my early life were into something ,were it motorcycles old cars or finding a hunk of junque and make it work again.I would rather have been doing that than going to school.[mom saw to it there was time for school]some times my hands look kinda bad and grampa would say those hands are to be proud of,there working hands.I lived close to all my uncles and grandfather,they all had a place where they would have something they would be tinkering. thank you for sharing with us.it means a lot.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By chris becker on Wednesday, May 16, 2018 - 12:30 pm:

Thanks Richard we always have some thing around to tinker on.carston has been helping us with the family collection since he was five or six. We can't start a car up without him come running up for a ride.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Williams, Hillsboro Oregon on Thursday, May 17, 2018 - 02:12 pm:

seats look good.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Duey_C west central, MN on Thursday, May 17, 2018 - 08:48 pm:

Thanks for the update!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By chris becker on Friday, May 18, 2018 - 12:57 am:

Thanks Tim you going to coming over and take Nuthin' for a spin? We will be at the shop Saturday afternoon. Hope to see you and T-bone on Friday afternoon.

Hey Duey, no problem mate. Hopefully get the floorboards roughed in this weekend.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Williams, Hillsboro Oregon on Friday, May 18, 2018 - 02:55 am:

I am trying to make it tomorrow afternoon. Put T bone battery on charge tonight

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By chris becker on Friday, May 18, 2018 - 09:26 am:

Cool.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By chris becker on Wednesday, June 06, 2018 - 09:57 am:

Well finally at long last we can make a quick update. Our move to another shop is slowing us down more then I like but oh well. We were out at the shop last night and had some extra time so we re chopped the windsheild as the there was to much gap between the cowl and the windsheild itself and also made it functional.

Also roughed in patterns for the floorboards out of 1/2 inch ply wood now to get some time to make proper ones.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Wednesday, June 06, 2018 - 11:04 am:

Chris,

Pleasure meeting you - Melissa & The Great Carston ....:-)

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By chris becker on Wednesday, June 06, 2018 - 11:27 am:

Pleasure to meet ya to Jim give us a holler when you are through next time and we will give ya a ride in Nuthin Special.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By chris becker on Wednesday, June 06, 2018 - 11:41 pm:

Added our red spot light to the windsheild tonight and took it for 5 mile drive. We got it liecenced for the road and she ran great. Going to change the oil and take Nuthin Special to a cruise-in Friday night.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Osterman on Thursday, June 07, 2018 - 07:53 am:

I love that the three of you have exactly the same smile .. and facial expression!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Thursday, June 07, 2018 - 08:36 am:

That's awesome Chris. What a cool car....and it's great that your family is involved.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By chris becker on Thursday, June 07, 2018 - 08:58 am:

Mark - oh my god I live in a household of clones!!
Don - it been a fun project I like working on it with the family.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Denny Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Thursday, June 07, 2018 - 09:16 am:

Great to see this thread again.

Did you say clones or clowns?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By chris becker on Thursday, June 07, 2018 - 02:50 pm:

Could be both !! Denny

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By chris becker on Friday, June 15, 2018 - 10:53 am:

Took Nuthin' Special up to Pacific NW tool collectors club we belong to and she was the center of a lot of bench racing sessions!brought her home and did some more tweaking. Took the inspection pan down and found out I had a 4 dip pan and not a 3 dip pan which was nice. We did find all the rod bearings loose. The mains are nice and tight though. Took one rod cap down and the babbit is still good. We need to make some adjustments and we are good to go. Will do it this Sunday after work. What should we use for tour we spec and clearances on rods for a worn engine?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By chris becker on Friday, June 15, 2018 - 10:55 am:

Tourqe specs and clearances....

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Walt Berdan, Bellevue, WA on Friday, June 15, 2018 - 04:28 pm:

Mike the journals to make sure they are round. If you are lucky, go for 1.5 thousandths. I check with plastigauge but the old time trick of slight drag when there is a strip of newspaper works great too. I torque to 35 on good bolts and nuts. If the journals aren't round, no adjustment will last long.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By chris becker on Saturday, June 16, 2018 - 01:34 am:

Thanks Walt I will mic the journals and report back.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By chris becker on Monday, June 18, 2018 - 10:04 am:

Carston and I got together with Rich and Tim and played on Model T's on Father's Day. We were in the process of taking up the rod bearings last Sunday but ran out of time due to me having to go to bed early as I get up about 1:30am and head to for my early morning run to Seattle and back to Portland. Tim brought T-bone by today. It is a nice running T speedster. I tried talking Rich into bring his Roadster but no go maybe next time. Was a nice day for ride.

Carston's attention span was elsewhere today. He helped with one rod and then ran and did something else. So the rest of us continued on taking the rods up. Rods 2 and 3 had no shims left so we had to file some off of the caps and add shims back in. Rods 1 and 4 had shims still present so we removed some and made them tight again. I measured the rod journals and they are .010 undersized. Also checked roundness and got a reading of .001-.002 where ever I checked so good enough for government work.

We then test drive Nuthin' Special a couple of times down the street and back about 10-15 miles and it ran great no strange noises. We cruise along nicely about 37mph but got it up to 42 mph at one point. We need to get some fresh gas for it now and change the oil in it again.

Thanks Tim and Rich had a fun Father's Day with you and the rest of you did as well.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Williams, Hillsboro Oregon on Tuesday, June 19, 2018 - 03:18 pm:

I had fun too.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Don - Conroe, TX on Tuesday, June 19, 2018 - 04:47 pm:

So very cool...that's all that needs saying.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By chris becker on Tuesday, June 19, 2018 - 05:01 pm:

So we will make it official now we have license plate now so we are legal to drive it on the road. Got to get some tail lights and wiring done. Tim it was fun planning on seeing ya on Friday for the cruis-in. I might have Chris Otto from the forum riding with me and Carston. Don we are having fun with Nuthin Special hopefully get to drive it more this summer.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By chris becker on Tuesday, June 19, 2018 - 10:35 pm:

So tonight we added tail lights. Getting closer. Goal drive it too work early in the morning. keep posting your comments we love the feedback pro or con.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Wayne Sheldon, Grass Valley, CA on Tuesday, June 19, 2018 - 10:48 pm:

I am con-vinced you are a WONDERFUL DAD!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By chris becker on Wednesday, June 20, 2018 - 11:05 am:

Thanks Wayne we are having fun for sure.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Mark Strange - Hillsboro, MO on Wednesday, June 20, 2018 - 11:12 am:

Great project, I hope that a new laminated glass windshield is on the short list for improvements. :-)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By chris becker on Wednesday, June 20, 2018 - 04:51 pm:

Mark it is just haven't got there yet.Need to drive it there and have it done.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Daniel brennan on Friday, June 22, 2018 - 07:53 pm:

Chris,does the crank handle hit the axle at all? Iím building a speedster and Iím dropping the front the same way you did on the Becker special. I have about half an inch between crank handle and top of axle
Thanks
Keep up the great work
Dan

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Williams, Hillsboro Oregon on Friday, June 22, 2018 - 10:36 pm:

Daniel, Chris's crank handle does hit the axle when it flexes going over bumps, we were just looking at the tonight

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By chris becker on Saturday, June 23, 2018 - 12:40 am:

Daniel it does hit on Nuthin Special. The Becker Special has no hand crank, yet.

Wells we met with Tim Williams and Chris Otto was in town from Virginia and he rode me and Carston on Nuthin Special maiden voyage to is first car show. Others loosing one bolt it ran great. We got all kinds of questions and comments.

ThanksChrisfor hanging with us this evening

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By chris becker on Saturday, June 23, 2018 - 12:50 am:

Tim it was good to see Tbone and Nuthin Special together. Did ya get a pic of the two togethe?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By FreighTer Jim on Saturday, June 23, 2018 - 04:36 am:

Chris,

Nuthin Special original thread:

@ http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/708324/783970.html?1510318070

Nuthin Special 2:

@ http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/708324/806691.html?1513307291

Additional comments:

@ http://www.mtfca.com/discus/messages/822076/835725.html?1518622241

FJ

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By chris becker on Saturday, July 07, 2018 - 09:14 pm:

Well last weeks been exciting we have put 100 miles on Nuthin Special. She runs real good aver about 38mph. Tee took over to the new shop in Hillsboro on the 4th and gave a bunch of rides. So we have been having a lot of fun. Still need to get the windsheild fixed. Tomorrow rich and I are getting together and making a wiring harnes up so we will have lights.

Keep in touch.

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration