Jack stands to support front end

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: Jack stands to support front end
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Dick Fischer - Arroyo Grande, CA on Thursday, May 17, 2018 - 08:48 pm:

I need to replace the spring shackle bushings on my fully assembled '12 Touring. Looking under the car, the first exposed area of the frame going aft is just to the rear of the engine mounts. The engine pans prevent supporting the car any further forward.

Is this where others support the car when dealing with the front suspension, or am I missing something ?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Jelf, Parkerfield KS on Thursday, May 17, 2018 - 10:53 pm:

I take off the pans and put the stands farther forward.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By William Hoffer on Friday, May 18, 2018 - 06:39 am:

I just did mine, and put the stands where you describe. Worked fine for me. No mishaps. Cheers, Bill

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James G Fisher III Peachtree City, GA on Friday, May 18, 2018 - 06:42 am:

I used a set of RV stands mounted to plywood. Here is a photo where I put them. On the frame each side.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By James G Fisher III Peachtree City, GA on Friday, May 18, 2018 - 06:44 am:

I will also add I tried to spend as little time under it as possible.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Friday, May 18, 2018 - 07:28 am:

You guys know I ain't one of these safety nuts that thinks everything under the sun is too dangerous to do, but I wouldn't get under a car held up by the jack stands in that picture. Too "spindly" to suit me. I'm sure they will hold the weight as long as the line of force is straight down, but IMNSHO, it would be too easy to get the line of force not so straight down with those things. No thanks.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By John Zibell, Huntsville, AL on Friday, May 18, 2018 - 08:08 am:

Not difficult to make good sturdy stands. This was early in the restoration of my car.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Hal Davis-SE Georgia on Friday, May 18, 2018 - 10:13 am:

Like them MUCH better!

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration