What is this,an aluminum governor with a timer on it?

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration
Model T Ford Forum: Forum 2018: What is this,an aluminum governor with a timer on it?
Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Grisbee---Cheyenne Wyo on Thursday, May 17, 2018 - 10:04 pm:

I've seen a number of A and T governors over the years but never anything like this,not with ignition parts. The timer is Anderson brand,says fits all Fords and Fordsons. Maybe it's off a Fordson but I don't think so. A belt guide or something may have been cut off by the pulley. Anybody neckerize it?picturepicture

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jim Eviston on Friday, May 18, 2018 - 03:43 am:

Steve,I, too am stumped.
If we do get an explanation, it may be something that used a T type timer for some other application.
How could you time it??
Led Schubert still on here??
He usually figured odd stuff like this out,years ago.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Frank van Ekeren (Australia) on Friday, May 18, 2018 - 03:51 am:

Well it's going to need more than that flat belt pulley to drive it for that won't work to keep any sort of accurate timing!

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Denny Seth - Jefferson, Ohio on Friday, May 18, 2018 - 07:41 am:

When you remove the timer and look inside what do you see?

Perhaps a small belt driven mag that sends spark to the timer for a marine application because everything is sealed?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Jerry VanOoteghem S.E. Michigan on Friday, May 18, 2018 - 08:48 am:

I think the lower part of the unit has been cut off at some time and the flat belt pulley added later. The governor is probably not meant to alter the spark timing. The timer would drive directly through the shaft. The lever arm on top would be actuated by the governor and would control the throttle. Either meant for stationary engine use, or for a Fordson tractor maybe. That's my take on it anyway.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Friday, May 18, 2018 - 08:56 am:

To paraphrase Yul Brenner; "Is a puzzlement".

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By john kuehn on Friday, May 18, 2018 - 09:47 am:

Some kind of marine timer attachment?? Or a stationary engine rig up?

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By mark aden on Friday, May 18, 2018 - 10:50 am:

It looks like a governor / timer atachment for a fordson, but someone has cut the bottom drive part off and was just using the governor part on something else

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Grisbee---Cheyenne Wyo on Friday, May 18, 2018 - 11:14 am:

You guys are bringing up some good points. Just got the thing and haven't had the timer off or anything. I've been around a few Fordsons but just don't remember anything this dainty. If I have time in the next day or two I'll split the halves and post pictures of what's inside. Thanks for your input.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Friday, May 18, 2018 - 11:51 am:

Keep us posted Steve ! It's a real puzzle to behold from these photos, perhaps all will be revealed when you get inside ??
(I for one, am mighty curious !)

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Ed in California on Friday, May 18, 2018 - 12:33 pm:

is it part of this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ac7G7xOG2Ag

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Rich Bingham, Blackfoot, Idaho on Friday, May 18, 2018 - 02:37 pm:

Well, hey !! That just cleared everything up !! ; )

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Charlie B actually in Toms River N.J. on Friday, May 18, 2018 - 03:51 pm:

Loved it ED!! Anyone remember Professor Irwin Corey? He would have had a ball on You Tube.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Marty Bufalini - Grosse Pointe, MI on Friday, May 18, 2018 - 06:37 pm:

The guy on the YouTube that is posted is Bud Haggert. He's a friend of mine and has done a ton of industrial film narrations. This was done in collaboration with a local ad agency to spoof some of the highly technical automotive industrial film narrations that used to be done in Detroit. I've done more than my share, too.

Bud came up with the concept of "the ear" for long, technical narrations.

Bud is retired and just turned 91 a week ago. Great and talented guy.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim R. Wynn on Friday, May 18, 2018 - 06:48 pm:

A lot of stationary engines utilized reverse engineering and thus Ford (or look alike) parted were used. The Seneca, IL Fire Department has in their possession the fire department's first gasoline powered water pump. It is a Waukasha poet plant that uses Ford could and timer for its ignition system. It was restored to running/pumping condition for the Seneca, IL centennial several years ago. It was restored by the then Fire Chief. I was told that the Waukasha Fire Pump Company attempted to purchase this particular pump and motor as it was the only running version of this particular vintage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Kim R. Wynn on Friday, May 18, 2018 - 06:51 pm:

A lot of stationary engines utilized reverse engineering and thus Ford (or look alike) parted were used. The Seneca, IL Fire Department has in their possession the fire department's first gasoline powered water pump. It is a Waukasha power plant that uses Ford coils and timer for its ignition system. It was restored to running/pumping condition for the Seneca, IL centennial several years ago. It was restored by the then Fire Chief. I was told that the Waukasha Fire Pump Company attempted to purchase this particular pump and motor as it was the only running version of this particular vintage.

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Steve Grisbee---Cheyenne Wyo on Saturday, May 19, 2018 - 11:42 pm:

Okay,Here's what it looks like undressed. Obviously a flyball governor that originally was tied directly into an engine to control RPM and spark. Then the housing was cut back and the pulley added for use just as an RPM governor for maybe a totally different application. That's my summation adding up your contributions and my SWAG thoughts. If anyone wants this thing for their "Whats it?" wall,it's available for $89.95 shipping included.picturepicture

Top of pagePrevious messageNext messageBottom of page Link to this message  By Tim Eckensviller - Thunder Bay, ON on Saturday, May 19, 2018 - 11:58 pm:

Instead of governing, could this thing have been some kind of accessory automatic advance?

Add a Message

This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Username:  
Password:

Topics Last Day Last Week Tree View    Getting Started Formatting Troubleshooting Program Credits    New Messages Keyword Search Contact Moderators Edit Profile Administration